"Winter of our Discontent" indeed!

And I love how the McKellen movie version actually begins with snippets of the final scenes of 3 H VI ...
BrokenTune 2 years ago
It just makes sense. And Gloucester was just absolutely brilliant in both 3 H VI and RIII. Such a fab baddie.
An excellent Tudor propaganda piece indeed ... :D

Somehow I can't watch R.III and the Henry VI-iad without thinking of a line from "Local Hero" ... (from memory, and minus Scots accent:) "This beach was given to my great-great-great-great-grandfather by Henry VII, in compensation for a favour he'd done him. He'd brained an enemy of his." -- And Shakespeare suddenly got his father's heraldry application approved, after it had repeatedly been denied before. In the present royal motto's words, honi soit qui mal y pense ...
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Do you watch Upstart Crow?
Not yet -- should I? (I've seen mixed reviews.)
BrokenTune 2 years ago
It is definitely worthwhile, even if it does play fast and loose with historical accuracy there is a lot of truth in it and some very subtle but funny facts. There was an episode that pretty much focused on the question of Shakespeare being denied the status of a gentleman. :)
Alright, then ... :)
BrokenTune 2 years ago
The next play in the book is Titus Andronicus.... :O
Uh-oh.

Btw, I heartily recommend Gregory Doran & Antony Sher's "Woza Shakespeare!: Titus Andronicus In South Africa" ... (about their Apartheid-era tour). Incredibly enlightening.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
That's a great recommendation. I'll first approach it through the Arkangel production, tho, with Harriet Walter as Tamora. I really like their productions to accompany the text. Then I'll look into varitations...if I still have the stomach. I'll definitely look out for the Tony Sher one, tho.
I like the Arkangel productions as well (and who can possibly beat Harriet Walter as a Goth queen? :) )

The book by Gregory Doran and Antony Sher is not a variation on Titus -- it's their published tour diaries. Of course they're discussing their artistic approach to the play, but there's a whole lot about South Africa under Apartheid, the touring conditions, their African cast, etc., as well.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Ah, I see. Well, with a little luck the Sher book will arrive when I get back home next week. :D
I haven't seen the McKellen RIII since its original theatrical release! I remember loving it, though. Check out Looking for Richard by Al Pacino if you haven't already/can find it. I saw that at the sadly now defunct Bath Shakespeare Festival many years ago.

So are you officially Scottish, now?
BrokenTune 2 years ago
I somehow can't get my head around Al Pacino as RIII but now that you mention it I am intrigued.

As for the other matter, British yes. Scottish is debatable... Still German as well, just for good measure.
There's not (currently) any contradiction in being Scottish and British! It's not quite as cool as being Welsh, of course... ;-)
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Of course. ;)
Flagon says, roar! Of course!
Murder by Death 2 years ago
I realise the impetus behind it was one of necessity given the current climate, but Happy Dual Citizenship! anyway. :D

It's always good to have options.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Thanks you. It's just such a relief to be done with that part.
Murder by Death 2 years ago
I can imagine. I've decided not to get an Aussie citizenship because I qualify for citizenship in Italy via ancestry; but just LOOKING at what all is required and hearing all the feedback about the waiting time, paperwork and bureaucracy has me frozen in a constant state of procrastination.

So, what happens if Scotland decides to actually leave the UK? **ducks**
BrokenTune 2 years ago
The process was an absolute shambles. I don't even know whether the clusterfuck of requirements and changes over the last 12 months alone in the application process was caused by May's "hostile environment" policy, Brexit, or general incompetence, but of 5 of my friends applying at roughly the same time, no one filled in the same application form or had the same process.
I have tried not to rant about it too much but that was only possible because so many people I know had the same frustrations. Funnily, all of the processes taking place north of the border were straight forward and people have been helpful. For the parts actually set up and processed by the HO central offices, that was a mess of epic proportions.

Should Scotland leave, there should be no huge issues. One unknown is as good or bad as another.