Lillelara 2 years ago
You know how much I like reading books about mountaineering, right? I think this might be another addition to my TBR ;)

I really like Krakauers "Into Thin Air". But you are right, he is completely full of himself and knows everything best, attacking other people in the process (especially that Russian guy).
What works for me in this book, though, is the personal angle that is involved in his narrative. He has been with the people on the mountain, tells stories about them and by that I got them to know as well. And this made this an impactful read for me in the end. I was truly devastated. Not for Krakauer, but all the people that have lost their lives on the mountain.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Heil manages to get the feeling of empathy for the people across in the book without inserting himself and without making general judgements. There have been quite a few passages where I stopped and thought "If K. had written this, this would have sounded so much different and so much more smug."
BrokenTune 2 years ago
For example, in the quote I used the line "Worse, you face away from the mountain, forced to stare at the terrifying emptiness below." was one of those where I thought K. might have followed this up with "except if you're an utmost professional climber like me who is made of stronger stuff than anyone else and who actually thrives on looking into the abyss and uses the experience to find true depths in himself ... blah, blah, blah...". I mean, I have not read Into Thin Air, but this is the sort of writing that pissed me off in Into the Wild.
Lillelara 2 years ago
LoL, you really make me want to reread Into Thin Air and be on the lookout for the special Krakauer writing :D.

I cannot remember if he actually does that in Into Thin Air. Or maybe I didn´t realize it when I read it ages ago. After all, I disliked Into the Wild as well and couldn´t stand the writing in this book. This makes me think.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Oh, LoL, as intrigued as I would be to see if your take on the book or the writing has changed, I don't think its worth the effort.
Lillelara 2 years ago
I would totally do it for you, my huge TBR notwithstanding ;D. I wonder if I would still like it as much now that I have read Into the Wild. Somehow I don´t think that I would.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Tell you what. If you find yourself seriously considering it, let me know. I'll source a copy from my library for a buddy read. I'd probably give it a miss otherwise, but I'm kinda intrigued...though I'd probably follow up with Boukreev's book.