Oh, nice!
BrokenTune 2 years ago
I still haven't got a clue what's going on tho.
Really? Interesting ...
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Well, there are several storylines - this is quite a busy story - and I can't say, yet, which clue belongs where. At the moment, we seem to be in story # 3, where the first death doesn't even get mentioned.
Hmmm. That does remind me of "Anna, Where Are You?" (one of the books that the blurb had immediately made me think of -- and which is one of those of her final novels that I really like).
BrokenTune 2 years ago
I'm really enjoying it! And there has just been a development. I can't wait to see how this finishes. :)
If it's this close to the end of the book, it's doubtlessly a Development. :)
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Oh, yes!
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Tigus, I'm wavering between 3.5* and 4* at the moment. There are elements that have irked me, mostly some of the comments that are really dated and that should have already been offensive when the book was written. However, I wish our heroine was not such a dimwit. That's what's irking me most.
"The Clock Strikes Twelve" and "Latter End" still are my absolute favorites, too.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Our heroine is pretty dim, tho.
Yeah, that, too, is what I suspected based on the blurb. Unfortunately, though Wentworth also has books with really strong and independent heroines, every so often (and particularly so in the final 10 or so books), we get more than our fair share of TSTL feeble brains as well.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
I mean, she's not the dumbest I've encountered but there is definitely the whole damsel in distress theme going on here.
Yup. I know what you mean -- and from what you're saying, "Ladies' Bane" probably isn't at the very bottom of the Wentworth scale, either. Some of her women characters, again particularly in her last Miss Silver novels (as well as her very first ones) have me gnashing my teeth practically nonstop -- especially where they are *not* set off by another, stronger main woman character.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
You know, at the end of the book I could not help comparing it to MacInnes' Above Suspicion: plenty of depth, plenty of great characters, plenty of mystery, but when the female lead ends up needing rescued for no reason other than her being silly and the book needing to conform to an expected formula, then the book looses something.
Yes again -- exactly. The key reason why hardly any of Wentworth's final books gets any higher rating than 3 1/2 stars in my book (4 max) -- similar, I take it from the above comments, as with Tigus. Wentworth was really falling back on formula hard in the final novels -- and to be fair, she never abandoned formula quite as wholesale as Christie or even Ngaio Marsh -- but it's decidedly less pronounced in her middle period, and there are some books where she could do entirely without it (except for the young lovers, which are a constant in 100% of her books, but there are books in her middle period where she could do without pretty much every other cardboard element).
BrokenTune 2 years ago
I very much look forward to reading more by her. And it is great to know that she had "phases", so I'm well prepped when picking the next book from her list. :D
Her best "phase" was between book 6 ("Miss Silver Intervenes") and approximately book 21 ("The Watersplash"). Of the final ones, I've so far liked "The Silent Pool" (#24) and "Poison in the Pen" (#29) best.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
...adding it right now...