Murder by Death 2 years ago
You've circled everything I would have on that schedule - seriously, every single thing. I'm jealous, as this looks wonderful. I'm curious though: you're double booked on Saturday at 5; which one will win out, do you think? Sarcasm or Enlightenment? If you make it to the Fantastic Microbes, take notes! ;-)
BrokenTune 2 years ago
LoL. The Enlightenment event seems to be coupled with a book talk, so I am more interested in the Sarcasm event. Is that in itself sarcasm?
Murder by Death 2 years ago
hehe ... maybe just a little bit, but only the best kind. :)
a reading life 2 years ago
How wonderful! Enjoy :-))
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Thank you. Today has been a blast but I am absolutely knackered now. (It's not in the picture but the first event I went to was at 11.)
a reading life 2 years ago
I can just imagine :)
Murder by Death 2 years ago
Oh! What was it? What I'd miss??
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Actually, you'd have liked all of the events I saw today: the first one was called Tales from the Dark Side and was about Genomes and about the discovery of enhancers, the on- & off-switches for the creation certain proteins. It was fascinating. The lecturer included his own research into the GAL 5.1 enhancers as well as a discussion of where the media hype of the decoding of the gene still gets things wrong. It was seriously cool and probably the best of the events today.

I didn't make it to Science & Song, as the previous event overran, but I did end up in a lecture about Scots / Doric dialects, and the development of language.

The lecture about genetic modification was good, too. I especially liked it because it repeated or just mentioned again a lot of the information that Mukherjee covers in The Gene. But...I felt there were things missing...or not explored from enough angles, if that makes sense. I definitely felt better equipped to return to some chapters in The Gene again, tho.

The Sarcasm lecture was interesting and fun, but lacked depth again. I wonder if that was just because of the time limit and audience of the lecture or if the actual research lacked depth, too.

Oh, and I had time to buy some tea, chutneys, and visit the uni bookshop where I ended up discussing Dracula with the bookseller in quite some depth and walked away with two lovely looking hardcovers. :D
Murder by Death 2 years ago
That sounds like a PERFECT day. You're right, of course, I'd have loved Tales from the Dark Side, and the Scots/Doric dialect talk would have been fascinating (I love both Scottish and Irish accents, because I'm a cliche, lol).

I wonder ... the sarcasm lecture: do you think the presentation style might have been a factor? It seems to me that a lecture about sarcasm would be enhanced or enfeebled by the personality of the presenter. A natural smartass with the confidence to be themselves during the lecture would, I think, add depth, versus someone who was up there "Presenting" more woodenly, or even just more formally.
Murder by Death 2 years ago
OH! And which books did you get??
BrokenTune 2 years ago
I will create a summary post later tonight.
How fun!
I do this every year for the State Fair, plan of action is the way to go!
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Yes, I am so glad I had a plan!
Wow, that looks like quite the program. I hope today's offerings prove(d) just as informative and entertaining.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
They have, but in unexpected ways. :)