BrokenTune 2 years ago
LoL. Unfortunately, I never made it past page 1 last night. But oh what a page it was. :D
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Probably tomorrow for me, Tigus. I have just made a cup of tea to accompany my bedtime reading. I will keep you posted, tho. :)
BrokenTune 2 years ago
It does. But also, I don't want to rush through this one.
Murder by Death 2 years ago
Wait, what? No fog? Is it strictly legal to have an atmospheric description of the London streets without any fog? ;-)

It does sound like a fabulous opening and is making me reconsider moving up Thirteen at Dinner.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
I adored Thirteen at Dinner! :)

And LOL about the fog. I hate descriptions of London that rely solely on the bloody fog for atmosphere.
Murder by Death 2 years ago
I know, I just couldn't resist the poke. XD
BrokenTune 2 years ago
5:30am. Pre-coffee. What can i say?
Murder by Death 2 years ago
That's a disgusting time of day to be awake and uncaffeinated.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Oh, agreed. But I have remedied the state of decaffination now, and still have an hour to spend with a book before having to do anything in earnest. ;D
Oh geez, I hope the rest of the book lives up to its beginning. This is ridiculously good.
I'm about to finish it. You're right -- in many respects not the best that Golden Age mysteries have to offer (this one would probably go self-published these days for the blatant racism alone, at least if the author had insisted on keeping those passages), but also a hugely missed chance. Froest undoubtedly could write; with an insightful editor's hand, much that comes across as less than smooth could have been improved.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
@TA: The introduction set up the follow-on story quite nicely, but the story itself has a different tone - which is, on one hand, more in line with Golden Age mystery narration, but on the other, quite sprightly. It's the way that Farjeon changes between serious, dark, and comical, that works really well for me.

@ Tigus: I may have laughed out loud at the comment about snoring being a questionable but possible motive for murder.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
He did.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Odyssey seems like a good description. Wtf was going on with that blue curtain? It was Farjeon's writing again at this stage where I expected darkness a la Seven Dead, and then he left my expectations suspended. I'm still puzzled.
Murder by Death 2 years ago
I have DEFINITELY *threatened* murder for snoring, so I'd firmly argue is a reasonable motive. :D

(Though, of course, I'd NEVER do it - I'm more a whip-cream in the hand kind of gal.)