BrokenTune 2 years ago
I did! :D
All British Library Crime Classics should find loving new homes, for the sake of how pretty they are alone! Hope you're going to enjoy all of them (evn if probably not all of them equally).
BrokenTune 2 years ago
That is very true. They are all lovely, even if some of them are only lovely on the outside.
Lillelara 2 years ago
Oh my, is Death on the Cherwell on of those "avoid like the plague" books? I just bought that one recently as well.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
I believe TA wasn't too fond of it, and I have a history of disliking Hay's books. So, I really don't know why this one ended up in the haul.
Not "avoid like the plague", no. MR thought it was OK -- I was a bit underwhelmed, but I didn't hate it; just thought it fell a bit short of its potential.
Lillelara 2 years ago
Hay ... Hay ... did she write that book about the Murder in the London underground? I think she did. I didn´t enjoy that one very much.
I should really double check my book shelves before buying books on a whim. Oh well, at least I got it second hand and didn´t spend a whole lot of money on it.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Yup. That's her.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Murder Underground and also The Santa Klaus Murder
Yes, "Murder on the Underground" and "The Santa Klaus Murder" are her (only) other books. I really, really liked "The Santa Klaus Murder" (more so than BT did), but I was less in love with the other two. Liked "Murder on the Underground" a tiny bit better than you did, though, Lillelara (and also a bit better than "Death on the Cherwell").
Lillelara 2 years ago
Oh no... that´s not good!

I´ll will try to fit this into my BL-opoly reading. That way it won´t linger too long on my TBR.
Lillelara 2 years ago
I have The Santa Klaus Murder too, but since this is a Christmas related mystery, I give it more of a leeway.
Sounds like a plan!
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Excellent plan.

Btw, my favourite quote from The Santa Klaus Murder remains:
"Once Jenny reached the door she was so quick that I couldn’t help see her rush at him and throw herself incontinently into his arms."

;)
Abandoned by user 2 years ago
I thought Cherwell was actually better than Murder Underground, but I think that's because I liked the setting. I'm a sucker for Oxbridge settings.
That's one of the reasons why I thought it fell short of its possibilities, actually! (Well, that and "Gaudy Night". I'm afraid next to GN, *any* other book just won't cut it for me. Especially not one that actually also features punting.)
BrokenTune 2 years ago
I guess there's a silver lining there: I may have to re-read GN immediately after Death on the Cherwell.

And, yeah, anything set on the Cherwell or near it pales in comparison to GN.
Abandoned by user 2 years ago
It is definitely no Gaudy Night. But then again, if that is the standard against which all books are to be measured, that's going to result in a lot of disappointment!
It doesn't, actually. And the primary standard for "Cherwell" was the same author's "Santa Klaus Murders" ... only GN sets certain expectations for Oxbridge. Elizabeth George nails Cambridge in "For the Sake of Elena", and of course there's Colin Dexter for Oxford, but both of these are more recent examples. Funnily enough, though you'd think the Golden Age authors were much more at home in Oxbridge (at least some of them), none so far has been quite up to my expectations -- though Nicholas Blake / Cecil Day Lewis at least comes close in the first Nigel Strangeway mystery.
And BT: Don't. Whatever impression you come away with re: "Cherwell", it just won't stand up to GN ... not after revisiting Sayers immediately afterwards, at least.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
But let's face, it the odds of my liking the book are already heavily stacked against it.
Just wait and see -- all I'm saying is, even if you don't hate it, it's going to look a bit paler in a direct comparison with GN than with your "mere" memory of GN.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Mere memory??? LoL. This book hangover ain't over, yet!
:D

Exactly, and now imagine you're not hung over but just beginning to indulge anew ...
BrokenTune 2 years ago