Yes, I was sorry not to see him in the adaptation as well. But for the wastefulness, there's so much about him that could be the young Lord Peter, too!
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Exactly!
BrokenTune 2 years ago
It is rather clever how Pomfret and young Saint-George are standing in for Wimsey - purely in a structural sense of constructing the story, I mean.
Yes -- both of them give a pretty clear picture of what Wimsey might have been up to in his own Oxford days. (Particularly as we know from other books in the series that the reason he stayed a bachelor for so long was that he was quite a ladies' man before he met Harriet. Or at least until Barbara broke his heart ...)
BrokenTune 2 years ago
That of course, but I also get a picture of Sayers showing us Harriet interacting with other people that aren't Peter and basically completing Harriet as her own person, not defined by Peter.
True -- but Harriet is already defined as her own person largely by her own reflections -- not those on Peter but on her situation and on Boyes -- in "Strong Poison" ... and then again in "Have His Carcase", whenever she isn't around Peter (which is the case for a substantial part of the book). So this complements those earlier instances; it's by far not the first or only one. We *do* get an inkling, though -- both through her interactions with the young men and through those with the female undergraduates from her own college -- what she in turn might have been like as an undergraduate. And of course, we learn from Carrie that she liked to visit the buttery at night!
BrokenTune 2 years ago
They've left out the scene with the girl on the river, too. I actually like that Sayers included this. It adds to the depth of the novel.
It does. And I can't help but think (again), *that's* how you use the Cherwell, Ms. Hay ...

They left out *so many* details in the adaptation of that particular novel. And they also got the emphasis wrong in quite a few respects. In the TV episode, Harriet, when asked about Peter, includes a throw-away comment along the lines of "oh ... nothing much to look at, really". In the book, we see her almost swooning over his sleeping figure (and face) while they're out punting and picnicking -- or at least, until she catches herself at it and becomes all self-conscious!
BrokenTune 2 years ago
I just got to the sleeping Peter on the punt part. :D

And, yes, I read the part about the girl and instantly thought the same about Hay.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Or rater at the picnic ... you know what I mean.
Yup. :) That scene cracks me up every single time. In the book, that is.