Agatha! :)

And yeah. Wise choice re: mobile phone ...
BrokenTune 2 years ago
I'm just saying, ... there won't be many pictures.

Btw, Tom Burke in Rosmersholm...meh. But he was totally out-performed by Hayley Atwell ... and by Lucy Briers actually. And possibly also by Giles Terera and Peter Wight.
Oooh, Rosmersholm. That sounds great -- even despite Tom Burke underperforming!!
BrokenTune 2 years ago
It was fab. There seems to be a fad this year about water being part of the stage production... Rosmersholm had a flooded stage at the end of the play and Rutherford & Son had a waterfall feature that served as curtain. Amazing staging.
That sounds pretty spectacular!
It was.
Oh, and I may have raided the bookshop at the NT...
I blame the heat.
Totally. Obvious explanation.
Abandoned by user 2 years ago
That's so cool, BT! I have only been to London once and I also found it incredible!

When are we going to put together a Booklikes Agatha Christie literary tour? It needs to happen!
BrokenTune 2 years ago
That does sound like a fabulous idea!
BrokenTune 2 years ago
What stops would be on the tour?
Abandoned by user 2 years ago
Greenway, Burgh Island & Torquay in Devon, of course. Harrogate in Yorkshire & London to commune with Poirot. Is there a real analogue to St. Mary Mead? Maybe the French Riviera, taking the Blue Train (if it still runs).
St. Mary Mead is basically your typical "home counties" village -- there are literally hundreds of them right outside of London. (I visited a few dozen two years ago, because it's also the area where "Midsomer Murders" was filmed ... and yes, there actually are location guides for that series!) Some of the Poirot and Miss Marple episodes were filmed in some of the same locations as Midsomer Murders. Ditto the film studios right outside of London.

Christie spent her final years in Wallingford (a fairly idyllic small town in Oxfordshire -- one of the models for Causton in the "Midsomer Murders" series), and she attended the village church if nearby Cholsey, where she is also buried. (She was also an active member of Wallingford Community Theatre.)

In London, I'd want to include Florin Court (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florin_Court) -- the "Whitehaven Mansions" of the David Suchet Poirot series.

The "Blue Train", these days, would be the TGV, I suspect. (Now, if they'd still run the Istanbul / Calais line of the Orient Express ...)

How much time would we have???
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Do we need another virtual whiteboard? This time with a map feature?
Abandoned by user 2 years ago
I fear that the answer to this is yes!
Google Maps with a shared location list?
Murder by Death 2 years ago
Oh oh, can I come?
Do you need to ask???
BrokenTune 2 years ago
^^^ This. TA beat me to it. :)

Map with some of the key locations related to Agatha's life, some of the key (actually existing) locations mentioned in or inspiring her mysteries, and some of the key filming locations.

That should keep us busy for a while ...
Abandoned by user 2 years ago
How is the heat wave? I keep reading about it and it sounds nasty.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
I think that a question for the "Continentals". ;) Lillelara? TA? How are you coping?
The heat in London is hot to me, but then I a) am a wuss and don't cope with heat very well, and b) don't get a lot heat up north (and there is always some wind). So, the 33C in London (magnified by the concrete jungle) is hot to me, but it's nowhere near as brutal as the 40+C that people on the mainland had to cope with.
Lillelara 2 years ago
We don´t have those hot temperatures up here in the northern parts of Germany. A lovely 25C in Schleswig Holstein with a little bit of wind, it´s the perfect summer weather. But then, I live in a costal region. Around Hamburg it already tends to be a lot hotter than where I live.
These are the times of year when I envy you, Lillelara. We haven't quite hit 40C yet, but we've had a solid week of temperatures well into the middle 30s around noon (and as high as 33 even when I last checked tonight), and humidity levels that make the heat appear even worse (plus, zero wind). My mom (80yo) was hospitalized with heat stroke earlier this week -- she'd been recuperating from another stay in the hospital, and when the high temperatures struck last weekend, her vital functions instantly collapsed. (She's back home since yesterday but still very weak.)
Lillelara 2 years ago
I´m so sorry about your mother, Themis. I hope she gets better soon.
Thank you. I hope so, too. :(
Oh, noes. I hope your mom recuperates soon. :(
Abandoned by user 2 years ago
I'm so sorry to hear about your mom - high heat is absolutely hell on the elderly.

*Shakes fist at global climate change*
Thank you both. And yes -- it's scary.
Murder by Death 2 years ago
I hope your mom is somewhere comfortable so she can recuperate without the heat fighting against her. Glad to hear she's no longer in hospital, and I hope she's fighting fit in no time.

My bff in the Netherlands was expecting 37 degrees in her area at the start of the week; I haven't caught up with her yet to find out if it happened. 37 in The Netherlands is insane.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
I'm melting just reading "37"...
It is -- especially near the coast. And thank you, too, on behalf of my mom.
Murder by Death 2 years ago
Well then, BT, while you'd love the humidity here, you'd definitely not appreciate the temperatures. :D Though 37 is even disgusting by Floridian standards.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
We had 33 today and it totally spoiled my plans for today... I had a plan for tomorrow, too, but may have to change that also.
Lillelara 2 years ago
Oh, London ... I would like to be there with you. I love that city. And I´m still using these plain old city maps, standing on a crowded street with my nose buried in it. That way I can totally look helpless and someone nice will help me out. That wouldn´t happen if I would stare in my phone 24/7.

I went to London for the first time in 2012 between the Olympics. The mayor told everyone to get out of the city, because it wil be so crowded. And because the people fled the city, there weren´t hardly any crowds at all in London. Last time I was there in November, it was much more crowded. And London doesn´t hood a candle to Amsterdam, which was horrible. So many people!

Have a lovely trip, BT :D. And don´t forget to drink enough in the heat.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
I actually tried the Refill App that supposedly shows places where you can refill your water bottle. That app is pretty crap, but it did lead me to a tap at the NT and it did make me more aware of signs in windows and shops etc. that say "refill your bottle here".

Btw, Persephone books are taking part in the refill scheme. I also refilled my bottle when I went to visit the shop earlier today. :) It's a lovely shop in a beautiful part of Bloomsbury. I hope they keep open beyond the 31st October (as they have announced that they have no idea what to do if they can't use their German printer without additional import/export taxes).
Oh no. Brexit is really fmucking up *everything*!
Hol 2 years ago
I must say I avoid it because of how over-crowded it is, but I'm glad that hasn't impacted your trip. Have a great time for the rest of it. How long are you there?
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Flying home tomorrow night.

It's been brilliant so far but, yeah, I am not going to miss the crowds. Or the heat.
Hol 2 years ago
Lol! Have a safe trip home and enjoy the rest of your stay.
Thank you!