Abandoned by user 3 years ago
You're way ahead of me - I'm only on Chapter 3. Last week must have been harder on me than I realized because I sort of collapsed when I got home from work.
BrokenTune 3 years ago
Oh, I did the same last night, but then woke up at stupid o'clock this morning and couldn't go back to sleep ... but was too exhausted to do much else but read. I'm about to take a prolonged break tho to make some soup. It's been raining all day and I need some comfort food.

I hope you got some well-needed rest and are feeling better for it. I'll watch out for your posts. I'm really curious what you're making of this one. I'm puzzled by it.
Abandoned by user 3 years ago
I finished it, and your spoiler was partially on the ball.

It was really similar to Above Suspicion, although I ended up enjoying it a lot. MacInnes is really good at setting the scene.
BrokenTune 3 years ago
And I was almost right about the castle, too. ;)

I didn't care for this one. And I really didn't like the ending...it just fizzled out. :(
BrokenTune 3 years ago
Are her other books so similar to this particular storyline, too?
Abandoned by user 3 years ago
Agree that the ending was . . . weird and anticlimactic.

I wouldn't say that all of her books are so similar to this particular storyline, but I would say that there are plot elements that are used a lot, and one of them is the "traitor in our midst" element. I'm trying to think of the ones I've read, and I think that there is usually a "mole" or a "spy" inside of the group which the protagonist is trying to help.

She also exclusively writes about the "capable amateur," always a man, and usually a man who is involved in some sort of occupation similar to the music critic in this one - magazine writer, publisher, art critic, etc, which enables him to move around (usually) Western Europe without arousing suspicion. The hero always becomes embroiled in a plot involving communists or fascists or other authoritarians. There is also typically a love interest for the hero who is someone like Jo - a young and attractive, but also surprisingly resourceful, woman.

Whenever I read her books, I find myself wondering what she would make of Brexit and the current rise in right wing populism/white nationalism. Because I believe that she was quite socially conservative - given her class and the time in which she lived (similar to our girl Agatha) - but she also writes negatively about authoritarians of all types. I do think that she would despise Donald Trump and Boris Johnson.