Lillelara 6 days ago
Tbh, I found the switch of the narrator annoying as heck.
BrokenTune 6 days ago
It is really jarring. I think the whole point is for Barker to give a voice to the women that don't really have anything to say in the Iliad. So, why do we need to switch to Achilles? It's not like he's getting enough page-time to develop an understanding of his character.
Lillelara 6 days ago
My guess is that at some point she didn´t know how to turn Briseis´ story into a compelling narrative. And personally I think she isn´t that interesting of a character. She is just so incredibly passive in everything she does (understandably so).
BrokenTune 6 days ago
Briseis pov is quite limiting, but I find her passiveness quite a well-thought-out way to portray her powerlessness and her feeling of loss.
Lillelara 6 days ago
Yes, and I find it a very realistic portrayal. But whenever she isn´t in the midst of the action, she doesn´t have a whole lot to add to the story. Which makes a difficult for the author to tell the well-known story of the Iliad, I would think.
BrokenTune 6 days ago
The narrator pov doesn't work as a way to re-tell the story of the Iliad, no. Nor does it work to tell the story of Achilles, I agree totally. I also have some issues with the chosen tense of the pov - it changes between past and present tense and it, for some reason, doesn't work for me. The same way the change between Briseis pov and Achilles doesn't work for me.
But anyway, I'm not looking for this book to tell the same or even the whole of the story of Achilles or the Iliad. The limitation of the narrator just doesn't work.

Atwood's Penelopeiad works much better in that respect.