Char's Horror Corner 7 months ago
OOooooohhhh
BrokenTune 7 months ago
I have no self-restraint.
Char's Horror Corner 7 months ago
Nor do I!
Halloween Bingo preps in full swing, too, I see! "The Incredible Crime", "The Winter Queen" and "The Beast Must Die" are on my TBR as well. And of course I'll be curious what you're going to make of the Du Maurier and "The Saint" ...
BrokenTune 7 months ago
+ Beloved! I've read a couple of Saint books before and they are good fun for when you need something...stupid and action-packed with a cozy feel to it.

And the Du Maurier, well... it will be a timely read as this is the one where describes the "dystopia" where the UK leaves the common market and becomes a quasi colony of the US... Erm. Yes. ...

I also talked the Bookseller at Blackwell's into that one. She actually held up the queue behind me to go off and pick a copy for herself. It was quite funny, but I love it when people are serious about their books.

I must say that my expectations for The Winter Queen are pretty low simply because the cover tries to over-sell the book as the love child of Tolstoy and Conan Doyle...so, erm, I'll try and ignore that.
Yes, I'm pretty put off by some of the covers that over time have been slapped onto the Boris Akunin books as well. Also, whenever I read one of the blurbs there just seems to be some sort of ... subtext, or something, of the whole thing trying a bit too hard, which is why in all the years it hasn't progressed from "TBR" to "read" yet. But a few friends whose taste in books -- historical fiction and mysteries included -- I trust have liked it, so I'm thinking I just might as well give it a try. Eventually.

And I saw "Beloved" -- which was actually one of the books (together with the crime fiction, of course), which inspired my "Halloween Bingo prep" comment.

The Du Maurier / Blackwells story is awesome. And yes, what incredibly prescient writing.
BrokenTune 7 months ago
Oooh, I'm glad to hear the Akunin comes recommended then. I picked it blind. Well, not "blind"....I fell for the cover. But I know nothing about the book and am not going to read the blurb. Many a good book has been spoiled by the blurb.
Hah. So it has!
Tigus 7 months ago
the Akunin entry in The Big Book of Jack the Ripper was stunningly good. I sat up and took notice. I have since looked for his novels...the nearest bookstore has one; I’d prefer options, and...the cover is ugly.
BrokenTune 7 months ago
Tigus, once I have read the Akunin, I am happy to post it.
Do you have Vol. 1 of the Coward plays already? And who published the set, please?
BrokenTune 7 months ago
No, unfortunately, I have neither the missing Part 1 nor Part 5 of this series, but I figured that they will turn up on eBay or a secondhand seller at some point.

It's The Master Playwright series published by Methuen. This reprint edition is from 1983.
Lillelara 7 months ago
Based on the amount of books you have bought ... you have used the Blackwells 3 for 2 sale twice, right?

And btw, you have a lot more self-restraint than I do, BT. Okay, maybe not in the second hand book store ;D
BrokenTune 7 months ago
Well, that secondhand boosktore is my Achilles heel. ;) It's a good thing it takes 3 hours to get there.
Lillelara 7 months ago
LoL. Yeah, I wish that I would have such a second hand bookstore somewhere near me. It was really lovely there.
My purse, however, is very happy that a stretch of water lies between me and those British book shops ;)
Hol 7 months ago
Oooh, The Dry. I liked that one.
BrokenTune 7 months ago
Ah, I hear good things about this one from so many sources. It's edifying to know you liked this one, too. :)
Murder by Death 7 months ago
I was wondering if you and Lillelara got together in Edinburgh - nice! Looks like you both had a successful visit. :D
BrokenTune 7 months ago
Yes, we did! And I had penned a post about how I had to play the wimp card in the pathology museum because... too many feet...but BL ate the post. :(
Lillelara 7 months ago
Oh yes, there was some really nasty stuff in that museum, especially the last floor we´ve been to. And I´m saying this as someone who isn´t squeamish at all.

BrokenTune 7 months ago
I'm so glad I skipped that exhibit. But the third foot...and the other bit just as I walked through to section you were in...I'm getting woozy just thinking about it. At least, I now know what the different aneurysms look like that are mentioned in all of the mountaineering books.
Murder by Death 7 months ago
Yikes, and ... yikes. I had no problem with the Bodies exhibit that traveled around about 10 years ago; I found that fascinating, if not a bit ethically shady. But I struggle with anything pickled in jars or otherwise 'preserved'. Not sure I'd have gotten through the pathology museum either.

Note to self: skip pathology museum in Edinburgh; book gin making class. (Assuming either is still there by the time I ever get to make it that far into Scotland.)
BrokenTune 7 months ago
I fully agree with your preference of gin pickling experiments over the pathological kind...and something tells me that there will always be a gin making class in or near Edinburgh.