Lillelara 2 years ago
I´m really glad your liking this book, BT.

Unfortunately, Madeline Miller isn´t an author that works for me. I really can´t stand her writing. And it´s quite interesting how differnent readers perceive the same book.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Is her writing in this book similar to The Song of Achille? Is the style of narration similar?
Lillelara 2 years ago
Yes, it actually is. So maybe you will like Song of Achilles as well.

I have to say, though, I liked Circe better than Song of Achilles. In Song of Achilles her main focus lies on the relationship between Patroclus and Achilles and I thought it was a sappy love story. But that´s my opinion and since I´m not very keen on Madeline Miller´s writing style, I may be the odd man out.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
I'm intrigued. Tho, I think a big part of why I'm loving Circe so much is that the voice and style of narration fits the character perfectly. I'm not sure whether it would work when describing the pov of Patroclus and even less Achilles.
Lillelara 2 years ago
As far as I can remember, the song of Achilles is told from the perspective of Patroclus. Let me check ...
BrokenTune 2 years ago
I thought it was Patroclus pov...but presumably he dies at some point?
Lillelara 2 years ago
Yep, it´s Patroclus pov ... this is actually quite interesting. I would love to know what you make of this book ;).

Skim reading parts of it just now, I´m really glad that I DNF´d that book. It´s really not my cup of tea.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
I think I'll have to try that one. I'm too intrigued. I also want to know if I prefer Pat Barker's Patroclus to Miller's. I'm really loving all of the re-tellings that are out there. I may need to extend the Ancient Greece project. :) I also picked up another one by Natalie Haynes - The Children of Jocaste.
Lillelara 2 years ago
I haven´t found a greek myth retelling yet that I actually like. The ones I have read so far I´m completely meh about.

But I´m intrigued about the Natalie Haynes one as well and I haven´t given up completely on greek myth retellings yet. The only reason I didn´t buy the paperback copy of Children of Jocaste in Edinburgh was that they only had an incredibly ugly edition sitting on their shelves.

I loved Barker´s Patroclus, I absolutely loathed Madeline Miller´s Patroclus. As I have said, I´m very curious what you would make of this book.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
I'm sure I'll let you know. :)