Lillelara 2 years ago
I´m curious: what did they inject?

BrokenTune 2 years ago
"[A]n extract of dead tuberculosis bacteria mixed in water with an equal part of glycerin".
Lillelara 2 years ago
Well, this does sound like something that everyone is allergic against. No wonder the majority of these people went into shock.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
I'm curious, is TB still tested by a pin prick test? What's in that?
The author of The Remedy said that Koch's Tuberculin was used as a test for the presence of TB (after it was declared useless as a cure).
Lillelara 2 years ago
Yes, the Tuberkulin skin test is still used. Essentially, if you have TB and you get Tuberkulin injected under your skin, you get an allergic reaction.
But you have the take a positive result with a grain of salt, because the specificity of these test isn´t very high (the test might show a false positive result more often than not). But it´s a cheap test to get a general overview over the infestation rate in a population. But then you need some more specific test to get a proper diagnosis, because a positiv test doesn´t necessarely mean they have tuberculosis.

Btw, I will give this book a pass ;)
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Thanks. That's really interesting.

Like I said in the other post, I don't think you'd love it. I still can't get over how the author was trying to force a link between Koch and ACD, or rather ACD's experience with Koch (which wasn't really an experience because they never met) and the origins of Sherlock Holmes.
There is none.
Lillelara 2 years ago
Wow, the author really was desperate to get the Sherlock readers to read his book. He probably thought it was an easy way to get some money from a slightly larger group than the ones who are merely interested in the subject of tuberculosis.
BrokenTune 2 years ago