Sounds more like wishful thinking to me ...
BrokenTune 6 months ago
What is?
The notion that Koch is absent from public knowledge in Berlin -- or Germany, for that matter.

Particularly not after the recent "Charité" TV miniseries, but even before that ...
BrokenTune 6 months ago
See, that's what I figured. I wouldn't have thought Koch is obscure in any way. Not in Germany. Even with the book pre-dating the tv series...I think it pre-dates it. It was published in 2014. Tho I would doubt that most people could pin-point to his exact achievements.
It predates the TV series, yes (the first set was broadcast in 2017, the second one this year); but let's face it, they *made* the series because Rudolf Virchow, Robert Koch and Paul Ehrlich are household names in Germany (and most people would at least be able to say that they had something to do with the medical advances towards the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th century) ... and the Charité hospital is a goddamned icon, not only in Berlin. EVERYBODY knows it -- and most people also know that Koch and Virchow at the very least, if not also Ehrlich were doctors there.
BrokenTune 6 months ago
Hilariously, the Charite hardly gets a mention in the book. It's not its only failing.
Shame. A case of “it‘s good someone had the idea for this book, but the actual execution is less than what it could have been“?
BrokenTune 6 months ago
Starting with removing the link to ACD. It was a sales hook, but had no relevance in this book at all.
BrokenTune 6 months ago
I'm also not entirely sure why we somehow needed a history of animal rights law in England... I mean, interesting and he used it to show resistance to the emerging vaccinations but he could have focused on people being unsure about vaccinations rather than taking a detour into the average life-expectancy of a London cart horse. (2 years, btw.)

No descriptions of clothing or fashion, tho. ;)
Snort. (Re: Clothing and fashion.)

Poor cart horses. And shame on the author for the ACD hook -- or the animals' rights hook, FWIW.
Lillelara 6 months ago
I would like to think that Germans know the Robert Koch Institut. It gets mentioned in the news whenever something about vaccines is newsworthy.
Very true.
Lillelara 6 months ago
Reading your updates, BT, I really don´t feel the need to pick this book up. This might be one book that could make me angry at some point or another.
BrokenTune 6 months ago
I don't think you'd love this one. I liked the historical aspects of it but it lacks the depth, detail, and discussion of the more complex aspects that The Butchering Art provided. In fact, I think some of the things mentioned in The Remedy kinda needed the background provided in The Butchering Art ... or any other previous reading...to really make sense.

I don't know. I didn't hate it, but some of the generalisations (like that quote about Koch and the one about ACD in the Introduction) made me question the author's attention to fact-checking.

It had some really good parts, too, tho.
BrokenTune 6 months ago
Oh, and it was light on the hard science...until the Epilogue where he just seemed to list new strains of drug-resistant strains of TB without going much into detail. Detail would have been appreciated, even if it was to say there are only theories at this point because we don't know.

It was a good book to introduce someone to the history of TB on a light level.

The bits about ACD were completely irrelevant. Much as I suspected at the start of the book.