Elentarri's Book Blog 2 years ago
Oh dear... yes, at least you look busy. I had a whole team of chaps fixing the ceiling when the geyser sprung a leak and had no idea what I was supposed to do with them - do you hang around and watch, make conversation, disappear and let them get on with it, hide in the office and look busy? ??? *shrugs*
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Exactly! And hiding away was no option as the sparky was checking the sockets and fittings in every room.

At least it's all done now. Peace and quiet have returned at last.

And I got most of a review written.
Hooray for the reviews, but double thumbs down on the invasion, however necessary it may have been.

I never know what to do in those situations, either -- usually I hang around for a while and make conversation just to be nice, then I skedaddle and let them get on with their work (even if I typically don't get much further forward with mine).
BrokenTune 2 years ago
It was quite funny when the gas guy turned up, took the fireplace apart, and the lights went off because the sparky was tripping fuses (on purpose). Gas guy was taken by surprise, and I was able to look at both of them, sipping on my cup, saying "I'll leave you to coordinate amongst yourselves."
Then went back to typing.
Elentarri's Book Blog 2 years ago
What did your cats think of the invasion? My dogs are never impressed and it's rather amusing watching the chaps freak out when the little dog sticks her head through an open window or the big dog tries to climb through the window. For some reason the "Chinese dog" (aka bull terrier) is more terrifying to them than the frothing German Shepherd.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Is this a question for TA?
I have no pets.
Elentarri's Book Blog 2 years ago
Ohh, sorry - I thought EVERYONE one here had a cat. Except Ani (think it is Ani) who has a dog.
Sunny takes home invasions in his stride -- he's a bit cautious at first, but at heart he firmly believes that us humans exist for the sole purpose of petting and feeding him, so his curiosity usually takes over in next to no time (and of course produces the inevitable response: "Oooohhh ... heeere, kittykitty -- my, you *are* a pretty little one! Is it OK to pet her?" "Him." "Oh. Him?" "Yeah, And yes, it is OK ... that's what he's begging for!").

Charlie meanwhile retires to my bedroom, sits in the door frame (where he apprently thinks he can't be seen as long as he doesn't see us, either -- only hears us), with "this is so unfair! I'd love to join the fun but how do I know whether I can trust those complete strangers?!" written on his face as plain as day.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
LoL. That's cute.
Portable Magic 2 years ago
That's a little how my sister's kitties were yesterday! Ringo took one look at me and raced off to hide under the bed, but Mr. Silly made himself very available for scritches. He was very curious about what we were up to! And he spent the rest of the time teasing my Annabelle, who was very curious about him, but everytime she got close enough for a sniff, he'd arch his back and hiss and scare her off. Only to place himself nearby to tempt her again.
Hehehe. Cats and dogs ... they really do have to learn how to communicate. :D And of course "I think I want this -- or, on second thought, no, I don't -- or, well, actually I do -- oh no ... get thee away with you!!" is so typically "cat".

Is there a story behind their names?
Portable Magic 2 years ago
I'll have to get my sister to tell me again. They were both fosters that she ended up not able to let go for adoption. She volunteers with the county animal shelter to care for litters of kittens too small for adoption, until they're old enough for spay/neuter. Ringo is a beautiful orange gold, and Mr. Silly is gray striped with a funny tail that goes straight up into the air and curls into a curlicue at the tip. She gives each litter themed names, like Disney princesses, or Star Wars characters, etc. Ringo must have been from a music theme, but I'm really not sure about Mr. Silly.
I sort of suspected that might be what's behind Ringo's name, but Mr. Silly really had me perking up because it sounds like such an individual name -- like something that came about because of this particular cat's behavior. Don't pester your sister if you don't remember off hand, though!
Portable Magic 2 years ago
It won't be a problem, like the rest of us, she loves telling stories about her pets.
Murder by Death 2 years ago
Easter-cat hides, but Carlito is a terror; he tries to climb into the tradesmen's toolboxes/bags, and favours standing in between them and whatever they're working on, swishing his giant tail back and forth.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Carlito is a cute terror, tho. I bet he gets away with it.
Has ever caused any accidents?
Portable Magic 2 years ago
MbD - sounds like Carlito just wants to inspect the inspectors and make sure they pass muster. Is he a guard-cat?

TA - I got the cat-name origin story from my sister last night. Ringo was *not* named after the Beatles. He was named after Johnny Ringo, which is hilarious, considering he's the least aggressive cat possible and only wants to hide under beds and behind chairs when strangers are around. Johnny Ringo, if you aren't familiar, was a notoriously bad-tempered Old West outlaw who did things like shoot a man for saying he preferred beer to whiskey.

Mr. Silly was part of the Star Wars litter and was originally named Luke Skywalker. But he his personality demanded a renaming, as his antics always made her laugh - chasing his own tail, playing with the kittens, obnoxiously harassing her senior citizen dog, etc.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
LoL. Both cats sound like they ended up with suitable names in a way. Do the cats know that only one of them is aspirational?
@PM: Thank you so much for asking about the names! I love hearing those kinds of stories. And now of course I'll never be able to look at images of Luke Skywalker again without imagining him as a funny kitten full of antics! :D (And Johnny Ringo ... oh well, who'd have thought?)

@MbD: I suppose standing *between* the tradesmen and their toolboxes (i.e., in plain sight) is preferable to walking up behind them unnoticed (and causing all sorts of mayhem as a result)? Which I could totally picture Carlito doing, except I'm not sure he'd actually manage the silent approach technique ...
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Well, a toolbox is still a "box" right?
A box is a box is a box ...
Murder by Death 2 years ago
So, apparently, is a purse, a tote bag, a satchel and once, a Kleenex box with hilarious results (he put his head through the plastic slit and got stuck).

@BT: fortunately, no - not with the tradies. We keep an eagle eye on him, and if they're working anywhere where a cavity is involved (replacing the dishwasher), we close 'lito off in another part of the house. He did, however, take out a big, heavy 1 meter tall vase one night. Mostly my fault: I'd washed it out and put in on top of the step (there's a step down into our lounge/kitchen) one night and when Carlito had his nightly cat fit - which involves running at high speed down the long hallway, launching himself off the top step and sliding across the lounge room floor a la Risky Business - he didn't see the clear glass vase that was bigger than him, and he must have clipped it; it went flying right along with him and smashed with a terrific exploding noise all over the room. He was completely unharmed and totally gobsmacked by the whole experience.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
LoL. That must have been in equal parts hilarious and frightening for everyone involved. :)
Murder by Death 2 years ago
It's funny in retrospect - it was a nightmare at the time as we were barefoot, trying to herd two cats and keep them away from the shattered glass AND clean it all up at the same time. Plus, I lost a vase that's been impossible to replace without either selling a kidney or going to IKEA, both evils of which I'm unwilling to partake. XD
Portable Magic 2 years ago
Hopefully they didn't take too long and you were able to get back to being productive and having fun. It sounds like they were a little entertaining, at least. And it must be a comfort to know that your place has passed the safety checks and you aren't at risk of catching fire or blowing up in your own home!
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Just over two hours. It could have been worse and, as you point out, the checks are there for a very good reason.