BrokenTune 2 years ago
I dread to ask... Is it like this one?

Btw, I have moved on to my friends' homemade gin/paint stripper.
Between this book and the parliamentary debate tonight, I had no other option.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
I wish! And thanks to Lillelara's lovely gift I have some vouchers to use at the place where she made it, but it's a 3 hour train ride away and I don't think I can get there before I finish the book.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Tigus, are you kidding? The Z Murders was by far superior to this one. ;D

No worries, my friend, I know you get a little anxious when a recommendation of yours makes the rounds. Please don't worry about any of that, and please don't think that the book will deter me from any of your other excellent recommendations. It won't. It is a really bad book, but it also is hilarious as to how bad it is.
Lillelara 2 years ago
I´m asking myself, is this book actually one of those infamous first bad books, like with Patricia Wentworth. Themis has told me, her first book isn´t really good as well.

Oh, and I will be reading Dread Journey at some point, btw.
"Grey Mask" wasn't Wentworth's first book ever -- it was just her first mystery. She'd written romance books before that, and "Grey Mask" is simply a pile-up of just about every romance and Golden Age mystery trope out there. Even in "Grey Mask" you can tell she was able to write, though, so even on the evidence of "Grey Mask", it's not surprising that her work survived until today.

No idea how precisely "Grey Mask" compares to this book -- I haven't read it yet -- but from what I'm hearing it *seems* to be a bit of a different case. (Though there definitely is a TSTL character in "Grey Mask" as well -- there is in many of Wentworth's books, even in the later ones -- but she's not the main heroine.)
Lillelara 2 years ago
Yeah, I´m not suprised that you don´t like this book, BT. I didn´t love it, but I could suspend my disbelief enough to not be annoyed by it and to enjoy it at least a little bit. But it´s definitely not a book I will ever read again.
Lillelara 2 years ago
Ah, okay, I didn´t know that. I haven´t read Grey Mask just yet, but I´m awfully tempted to do so. Just out of curiosity.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
What puzzles me right now is if Hughes wrote this as a spoof to the crime noir genre. Not only is our TSTL heroine the main character, but a whole subsequent series seems to be based on her.

So, really, I am wondering if Hughes pulled a Tey here and this is her equivalent to Tey's mockery of the mystery genre in The Man in the Queue.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
@Lillelara - I'm curious about Grey Mask, too. ;)
BrokenTune 2 years ago
@Lillelara - Hey, if you change your mind and would like me to send the book back to you, let me know. XD
Lillelara 2 years ago
Yep, somehow I don´t think this is going to happen ;D
Lillelara 2 years ago
I couldn´t take this book serious, so it might actually be a spoof. We´ve read The Expandable Man, so we know that Hughes is able to write a good story and The So Blue Marble was such an odd reading experience basically all the time, I like to think that Hughes didn´t take this story serious at all either.

As for Grey Mask: Do I see another buddy read looming on the horizon? ;D
BrokenTune 2 years ago
@Tigus: I guess it is no help trying to reassure you that I don't think you have bad taste at all. And I certainly do not judge you because you happen to enjoy books that I can't seem to get into. What's the point? People have different tastes and like or dislike things for so many different reasons...or no reason at all...which is also cool.
If anything I love how you base your rating and liking books on so many different levels of enjoyment. It's exactly what I love about bookish reviews and recommendations.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
LOL. I'll share a quote in a minute that is pure fun and Hughes taking mick.

As for Grey Mask, let me re-stock on gin first. ;)