Abandoned by user 2 years ago
I'll be interested to hear your opinion of The Distant Hours.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
I'll need something sharp and plot-driven next, but am looking at The Distant Hours as my audiobook for commuting to work next week. We'll see how it goes.
You should be very careful of crockery with owl patterns! Have you never read The Owl Service?
BrokenTune 2 years ago
I haven't. But if it maligns owls, I am not sure it is the right book for me.
I wouldn't say it does.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
That's cryptic.
Um...I would say it doesn't?
Portable Magic 2 years ago
I love the mug with the owls and flowers! The banana bread looks good, and has me feeling a little inspired. I was just thinking of getting my favorite banana pudding to go from Babe's Chicken Dinner House and putting it in a mug at home, but I actually do have a book of mug recipes that I've been trying to find a good lunch recipe in for work. Can't say they've been very impressive so far. But I think that same recipe book has a dessert section that I should try.

And Kate Morton is Australian, but I'm pretty sure she lives in England now. When we were doing the Halloween Bingo for international woman of mystery square, the rule was where the author lived rather than where she was born. She's one of my favorite authors, but The Distant Hours is probably the only one of hers that I didn't like.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
I'd love to see what mug cake you pick if you go down that route. The banana bread was good, but then I do like the goo-like texture of it.

As for Morton, her GR profile says she lives in England and Australia. I'm not sure what to make of it...and it is GR, so may not be accurate anyway. It doesn't fill me with confidence that you didn't like this book. To be honest, I saw it at the library and thought I'd give it a shot without doing any research. Which one of hers should I have picked?
Portable Magic 2 years ago
The Secret Keeper is my favorite, followed by The House at Riverton.

Looks like some articles say she lives in London, and others say she lives in Brisbane, so it's probably accurate that she has homes in both.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
I was looking for The House at Riverton, but my library doesn't have it.
Portable Magic 2 years ago
That's a shame. Maybe they have it under the original title?
BrokenTune 2 years ago
No, nothing with "Fog" either. :(
Peanut butter banana bread. Yum.

And I LOVE that owl-and-flowers-and-fox mug.

And I, too, am curious what you're going to make of Kate Morton's writing. She's been hovering on the edges of my TBR for quite a while, but so far hasn't actually made it onto it. I'm not sure her "formula" (if that's what you can call it) is going to work for me.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
I'm not entirely sure either about her writing but I definitely want to give her books a try...and hey, it's a library loan. If it doesn't work out, I can take the book back and move on. ;)
But I do hear great things about her books and just want to find out for myself if her historical fiction works for me.
Which pretty much sums up why she's been hovering around the edges of my TBR so persistently. :)

(Also, libraries definitely rule. Can't be said often enough.)
BrokenTune 2 years ago
We'll see. I'll start the audiobook next week.
Murder by Death 2 years ago
I LOVE that mug! Serious mug ❤️❤️ happening over here.

I was intrigued by the mug cake, but reading the recipe stopped me in my tracks - we gave up our microwave in favour of a toaster oven / air fryer. Though making a cake still sounds good...
BrokenTune 2 years ago
LoL. I love the mug, too. It's the perfect size - large - and shape and weight. And very cute.

As for the cake, it was good, but I prefer baked cake. :)
Danny!! :D
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Danny, indeed! :D
Well, someone had to do it ... :)
BrokenTune 2 years ago