Oh. Thanks for that final heads-up.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
I really don't know what to make of this book. I don't even know if this is a good thing.
Any similarities to "The Thirteenth Tale" are definitely not a good thing from my POV ...
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Nor from my POV. But the similarities really so far are mostly in connection with strange sisters living at an old castle who are visited by a younger woman - not a writer in this case but an editor.
Hmmm ....
BrokenTune 2 years ago
My problems with this one are still with the over-written prose, the info dumping (I did not need to know the history of breeding lurchers), and glaaaaaaaaaciaaaaaaaal pace.
Ugh. "I've done this tremendous research while preparing for this book, and I'm burning to tell you all about it ..."

As an approach to novel writing, not necessarily a winning idea.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Needless to say, this will not end up being a favourite and it will not turn me into an ardent fan of historical fiction. ;)
The latter being the real shame. There is so much really good material out there ...
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Yup. There is.

Btw, this may also have been inspired by I Capture the Castle...We have a father who is an eccentric writer who seems to spend a lot of time writing in his tower.
"Inspired"?
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Well, ....
Darth Pedant 2 years ago
The similarities are why I tell people if they liked/didn't like The Thirteenth Tale, they'll probably feel the same about The Distant Hours. I read Setterfield's book first and didn't enjoy it, which may have colored my reading of Morton's. I can't say I would have liked Morton's book any better if I'd read it first, though.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Ah, maybe it was you who planted the seed of Thirteenth Tale in my mind, but there certainly are similarities to the feel of the story. That is, I see some similarities to the film of Thirteenth Tale, I haven't read the book (and am not going to).

Darth Pedant 2 years ago
Guilty. I think I mentioned it on an earlier update. The similarities are pretty basic: the Gothic-ish tone, and some plot similarities like the book within the book, sisters holed up in their ancestral home, an outsider invited in to examine their lives, past mysteries revealed, and one or two other spoilery things. Not nearly enough to say they're the same story, but enough to say they live in the same neighborhood, as it were.
Lillelara 2 years ago
Oh, The Thirteenth Tale was so bad. I´m staying away from this one, then. Thanks for the heads up :).