This is the point where you go find a summary or some such on the internet to find out the bits you are interested in without reading all the silly stuff. ;) Or skim read.
BrokenTune 1 year ago
Eh, ... no. If I wanted to do this, I'd have done it by now.
Lillelara 1 year ago
*Sigh* And you still have so many pages left, BT. I hope it won´t get any more annoying than that. Otherwise I would encourage you to skim read as well.
BrokenTune 1 year ago
And leave me in search of another audiobook for my commute this week? No...

I'm actually enjoying parts of this immensely. Well, enough to keep going anyway.
Lillelara 1 year ago
At least it´s not going to be a complete drag then :). And I didn´t know that you listened to the audiobook. This makes skim reading a bit more difficult ;D.
Speed up the audio? :) :)
Lillelara 1 year ago
Honestly, I don´t know how some people can listen to audiobooks on twice the speed. So yeah, this might definitely be the equivalent to skim reading a physical book :)
BrokenTune 1 year ago
The audiobook has been great for doing housework while listening, too. I've actually ironed clothes last night. ;) Might clean the kitchen tonight.
@Lillelarra: I found an app that does audiobooks at 1.1 or 1.2X etc speed. It's for those really slow talking narrators. Otherwise, superspeed audiobooks just sound like gibberish. Audiobooks still don't work for me (I tend to fall asleep)
BrokenTune 1 year ago
And as mentioned before, I have no intention of skim reading or DNFing this.
Lillelara 1 year ago
I´ve gotten used to audiobooks over the last couple of years (back in the day I used to fall asleep, too) and some audiobooks really enhance the reading experience. I´m currently listening to "The Little Stranger" and the narrator makes this story and especially the main character so much more creepy than I remember from reading the book. So a book, which might otherwise be a more or less mediocre read on the written page, might actually become something totally different on audio. This might just be the case with this book as well.
I´m keeping my fingers crossed for you that it stays that way, BT :)
BrokenTune 1 year ago
I love a good audiobook. There are some exceptional narrators that can give life to the dullest of stories. Dan Stevens can read anything to me. There are many other narrators for whom this is also true. Not all narrators are suited to all books. Not all narrators are suited to all listeners.

It's true for speed, too. Some books I need to adjust the reading speed a little - too slow and the book is lost on me. Some books need to be slow. It really depends.

This particular audiobook is narrated just right for me. And thank goodness the narrator - who seems to be from Australia or New Zealand (I can't tell) - doesn't try to mimic a British accent. I'm not a fan of when narrators try and do this...unless they can really do it...like Dan Stevens taking on a little bit of a Swiss/German accent in his narration of Frankenstein.
BrokenTune 1 year ago
Oh, and re The Little Stranger, I really liked the audiobook narration for this also. He really brought out Faraday's creepiness.
There is a burning library in this one, too? Gosh, the similarities with "The Thirteenth Tale" *are* beginning to pile up.

Audiobook would probably be the only method I'd get through this at the moment (though I'm not exactly feeling tempted; not even with a superb narrator). I don't as a rule speed them up, even for slower narrations -- I did, for a bit, for just one book this year, but even at X1.2 (or even 1.1, can't remember) the narrator's voice sounded so strangely compressed that I just decided to accept the timing she'd decided was appropriate for the book's narrative voice and go with her flow instead of trying to artificially impose a greater speed.
BrokenTune 1 year ago
With most audiobooks, the speed works for me, but there are the odd ones where the narration just makes me go to sleep or zone out because it is too slow.

And re Thirteenth Tale, yeah I don't think The Distant Hours needs to go anywhere near your TBR. ;)
Sigh. I'd been getting that impression, yes ...

Good luck for the rest of your drive-to-work experience with this book -- I hope there are going to at least continue to be moments in between that make it worthwhile.
Bad flashbacks, bad flashbacks! Great updates though. Loving them.
BrokenTune 1 year ago
Ok, you hated this one, too?
Oh yeah. I can't wait until you finish. I will have someone else to discuss this book with :-)
Well I did give it 3 stars, so for me that's a solid rating. I just got highly annoyed at some things.
Portable Magic 1 year ago
Yep this is just my least favorite of Kate Morton's books. I remember struggling to finish it, and how disappointed I was with it.
BrokenTune 1 year ago
You guys are not very encouraging! LoL.