She really does seem to have borrowed from Setterfield here.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Yep. She seems to have borrowed or be inspired a by a few things from that book.
I noticed when I was reading this before that some elements were a bit too on the nose. This and another one of hers ended up being my least favorite of her works.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Which one is the other one?
For me, it was "The Lake House." That one I gave 1 star.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Oh, wow. That is super popular...which has turned me off it actually. Every time I read the title I'm reminded of the Sandra Bullock/Keanu Reeves film and wonder if the book and film are related. But I haven't been bothered enough to find out.
Oh don't, it's so not good and had so much telegraphed that you start to wonder if you read the book before.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Oh, wow. I'm definitely not going near it. Thanks for the heads up. Did it have more "borrowed" elements than The Distant Hours?
Darth Pedant 2 years ago
Haha, I liked the Lake House. The plot is super-duper contrived and the ending is ridiculously slap-a-bow-on-it convenient, but I was extremely in the mood for it when I read it. I don't know if I'd say The Lake House is full of borrowed elements so much as it's just aggressively trope-errific. Morton's plots are all pretty formulaic and her tropes are all of the well-worn variety, though. Sometimes it works, sometimes is doesn't. I think I've read everything of hers except her latest, and so far I've only disliked two: this one and The Forgotten Garden.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Tropiness is a thing with this one, too.
@Darth I cannot with that book. Especially that ending. And it definitely did a bit of borrowing from The Thirteenth Tale if you look back at how X was found. No spoilers.

I actually find The Forgotten Garden okay, but she tries too hard with mysteries that don't hang together very well.
Darth Pedant 2 years ago
Oh! I know what you mean. I didn't connect it to The Thirteenth Tale at the time, but now that you mention it . . . LOL
LOL! See!
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Ha! So much still to look forward to! XD
Abandoned by user 2 years ago
I think that this is probably my least favorite of her books, although I haven't read The Lake House. I don't know exactly why, but I remember vaguely feeling like this was an ineffective attempt to recreate the aesthetic of I Capture the Castle, which is odd because that book is charming and not at all "gothic" in style. I hadn't read Setterfield at that point, so those elements were lost on me.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
I totally thought of I Capture the Castle too as soon as the father was mentioned to be an eccentric writer who locks himself away in his writing tower.