Murder by Death 2 years ago
I need to try this. I think I have potatoes... and I definitely have applesauce.
2 years ago
A latke by any other name is still a latke. They look delicious!
Works the other way around, too! :) They're a local specialty where I'm living as well -- I think people here would just use the local word for them and then add "... or whatever they're called elsewhere." :D
2 years ago
For sure, it does, TA. In fact, Wikipedia has a whole article on the potato pancake and must list almost 2 dozen different names (but, for the record, does not include glitschers; I wonder why?).

What I like about the food side of the cultures of the world is seeing how many different ways the foods of basic sustenance can be combined AND how many of these combinations show up in similar forms in other cultures. We are borrowers for sure.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
I would have been surprised if Wiki had listed "Glitscher" as it is a word in local dialect. It literally describes the sound that the latkes make when you drop them into the pan. (The sound when the latkes mixture splatters against the pan, not the sizzle of the hot oil, if that makes sense.)
2 years ago
Makes perfect sense. Great word.
Thanks for explaining, BT -- I'd been wondering about the origin as well.

@Peregrinations: They have regionally different names even in Germany; Wiki.de has a separate entry on those alone! :) (https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kartoffelpuffer) The variant from BT's home region is given a separate (linked) page (with the name spelled with "K", though), apparently they're not just considered a variant name but a variant / related dish; as incidentally are latkes. The version from my region is included in the list of regional names on the main (German) page.

Anyway ... what a march of triumph for a plant that isn't even a native of Germany (or Europe, for that matter) but was only introduced here a few centuries ago -- but is now so prevalent hereabouts that it's virtually come to be regarded as our national dish! (Not just in the form of potato pancakes, of course.)
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Well, they were delicious.
Kaethe 2 years ago
Those do look tasty. But what is this "leftover smoked salmon" you mention? I thought stomachs expanded to accomodate all possible smoked salmon. Wow, maybe that's just us.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Erm, it may have been hiding at the back of the fridge...hidden by all of the other holiday food. A pure accident, I am sure.
Kaethe 2 years ago
Oh, a very happy little accident.