Lillelara 1 year ago
Everything about this book screams "No, thank you" to me.

And I´m totally with you on DNFing books. I don´t want to spend time with books I don´t enjoy at all - says the person who feels the need to skip all the love crap in The Trembling Hills ;).
BrokenTune 1 year ago
LoL. I've never really had a rpoblem with DNFing books, but looking at my TBR Project this year, I think I may need to turn up the ruthlessness a notch. Also, I really wish I had not spent as much time on The Ice Twins as I did.
Ugh. Thankyoubutnothankyou. Next!

How are books for this book club picked? (I may have asked this before, but your reading experience really keeps me wondering ...)
BrokenTune 1 year ago
How are they picked? - The library has a list (they change it annually). It's about 15 pages of A4 with a picture of the cover and a short blurb for each book. So, it's a substantial list for a public library...and because our group is quite small (between 3 and 6 people, depending on who turns up), the librarian always reminds us that we don't need to stick to the list - if they have enough copies across the libraries, we can order them for a group read.

But essentially, the group (democratically) picks six books in advance from the list. It really is quite a varied list, but it is also quite a varied group and some are more widely read than others.
I discovered Abouela through them, and that was a positive surprise, and have found some other books that I would never have read. (I'm sure I mentioned Larchfield before.)
Tho, on the whole, the groups tastes are nowhere near mine - apart from one lady who sometimes joins in.
I like the group, tho. They are mostly retired ladies who live locally in that part of town (in the former village near my work) but all of whom moved there at some point. And I love how their reactions to the books is sometimes not at all what I expected.
I was surprised that they had picked The Ice Twins actually, but there are at least two who are avid Ann Cleeves readers, so maybe this where that one came from.
Re: Ann Cleeves -- probably. And, interesting about the list (that was a new detail, though you did mention before that you like the group, in part, for reasons other than its book choices). Have some of the others ever said something like, "oh what a pity, that book was one of my picks, but I ended up not liking it at all / it was something totally different than I expected"?
BrokenTune 1 year ago
Other than myself? LoL. I'm not sure any of the other members have gone "oh, this looks good. Can we try this one?". It's kinda weird, but I do like them.
As a rule, I tend to avoid books about twins. One of the twins always ends up being evil. This generally leads to hours of lost sleep for me as I wonder which one of my own twins is the evil one.
BrokenTune 1 year ago
LoL. That puts a whole new spin on why one should avoid books about twins.
My grandmother towards the end of her life was constantly telling me all about the real crime shows she watched. They were always about evil twins whether it was one or both twins. Apparently it's a pretty common occurrence. Fantastic.
BrokenTune 1 year ago
Well, if you have a twin, why would you waste all of the potential opportunities for messing with people?
They destroyed all of that potential when one of them pushed the other one into a table head first and gave her a very obvious scar.
BrokenTune 1 year ago
Ah, but now you may know which one the evil one is. ;)