Lillelara 2 years ago
Mmmmh, shall this be our first DNF then?

I´m not particularly interested in this book as well. For me the most interesting parts are the mountain climbing ones. I´m more annoyed by Messner constant whining about all the people, who criticise him and the constant "Lobhudelei" of him as a person. Yeah, I get he is an exceptionally skilled climber, you don´t have to tell me that constantly.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Perhaps that would be the wisest thing to dnf this.

I got p. 270 last night and now only have 4 chapters left, so I might as well finish it. I do like the pictures.
The chapters I have left include Lhotse and Annapurna, and I am interested in what he has to say about both of them, even if it is ever so brief. (And I do have his other book about Annapurna...because I want to compare his view to Herzog's.)

Otherwise, I would probably really want to dnf this, too. It kinda feels like I would enjoy the book more as a sort of reference - quick facts, graphics, pictures, etc. about each mountain - that I can pick up whenever we/I read about one of the mountains in another book.
Lillelara 2 years ago
I still have eight mountains left and I don´t feel like I would get anything more out of this book besides the things I already have learned up till this point. If you don´t mind, I really would like to DNF it.
Yesterday I had a momentum to read it and I should have finsihed it in one go yesterday. Unfortunately I didn´t do that and now I don´t want to go back to it again.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Oh, god, please do dnf this! The book doesn't give you joy, there is no reason to force yourself to go on. We've always said dnfs are always an option, no pressure.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Btw, he does make a short comment about the 1996 disaster in the epilogue. Then there is a 2013 epilogue, in which he comes up with some unfortunate comments that I think he may have meant differently. LoL.
Lillelara 2 years ago
Oh, I´m definitely going to read the epilogue, then :). And I found it odd that they didn´t even mention the 1996 in the Everest time table. That was odd, especially since there has been added facts and data later on throughout the book.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
You know, I had not even noticed that this was missing. :O
Lillelara 2 years ago
I looked specifically for it ;)