Hol 2 months ago
It seems he's being very fair in his assessments.
BrokenTune 2 months ago
I think it depends on how much you like or dislike the people that he talks about. But overall, he doesn't hold back with praise. It just seems like a lot of criticism about the book focuses on his criticisms of certain people.
I found it remarkable how well he speaks of Pat Cash and JRM. You could tell from the frequency with which he used to call them that he had a certain amount of respect for them, ideological differences notwithstanding, but I was still a bit surprised how much he lauds Cash in particular.

More generally speaking, though; yes, I, too, really liked how he strives to shine the spotlight here on those whom he regards as particularly shining examples of MPs using their office for the good of their communities, or in furtherance of a cause close to their hearts.
BrokenTune 2 months ago
Yes! His comments on both were not something I had expected - nor his comments on Michael Gove! - and at least with respect to Bill Cash I got a better understanding of where Cash was coming from. It appears he tried for so long to amend the relationship between the UK and EU that he eventually just threw in the towel and went "I'm out. And so should the UK be."
Yes, same here. And it's clear that he distinguishes the person and their politics -- as it should be, but way too many people are incapable of that sort of distinction. AND the personal respect, politics notwithstanding, seems to have been mutual in cases like Cash and JRM.
BrokenTune 2 months ago
Yup.

I just finished the book. I got the feeling he kinda lost the narrative in the last part of the Epilogue. It almost felt like the introduction to a new book. It didn't do much for me.
However, what a book!

All while reading, I kept thinking about alternative titles that may have been better than "Unspeakable", and I think "For the record" would have been good, too.
And of course, I will now never be able to think of Hague without hearing JB's impersonation. (I do want to re-read the Pitt bio at some point, tho, and I also want to read Hague's book on Wilberforce.)
Hahaha, yes, I thought of the Hague books as well. Loved the impersonations, though (all of them) -- he's got quite the histrionic streak. The audio was worth it for that alone.

I liked the idea for the "hardware / software" bit in the epilogue, though I think he's being on the optimistic side there. But, yeah, the final part was one of the few parts I could have done without, too. Overall though, I'm definitely glad I've read it ... and read it now. So thanks again for the nudge, and for the spontaneous buddy read!
BrokenTune 2 months ago
Thank you, too. It was definitely the right time to read it.
The later parts of the book already feel a little dated, even if it must have been revised/written only a matter of months ago.
BrokenTune 2 months ago
Oh, and never mind about alternative titles: Audible was giving me recs...Apparently, "Call me Dave" called his book "For the Record" ... So that title has already been used. Bah!
I evidently had not noticed. Well, I had not even considered taking a look at Cameron's book tbh.
OMG, no. Me neither!
BrokenTune 2 months ago
LoL.
markk 2 months ago
Judging from the hook for the review in The Spectator, conservatives have their knives out for Bercow.
BrokenTune 2 months ago
Yup. They do. To be fair, they have had their knives out for him since 2016.