Elentarri's Book Blog 2 months ago
If you are not enjoying it, ditch it. That way you have more time for other books and you have more bookshelf space (assuming you get rid of the book instead of letting it hang around on your shelf?).
Hol 2 months ago
It's far too long to stick with if you're feeling like that already.
BrokenTune 2 months ago
There are beautiful parts in the book, too.
Elentarri's Book Blog 2 months ago
But is it worth another 800 pages of Genji's exploits?
BrokenTune 2 months ago
The book switches to another character just after the half-way point. But still, ... no. I think I got as much out of the book as I can.
Wednesday Reads 2 months ago
Life's too short to read boring books
You should read The Gale of Tenji, instead! Okay, you'd have to write it first, but all the same...
BrokenTune 2 months ago
May I'll be inspired this weekend by the Gale of Dennis.
I figured Storm Ciara would have been sufficient... ;-)
BrokenTune 2 months ago
What a hard task master you are!
Flagon says, roarno! He's just enthusiastic!
I think the Bard would approve both of your poetry and of your decision to abandon Genji. He does warn us, after all, not to let "the native hue of resolution [to be] sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought" ...
BrokenTune 2 months ago
Thanks. I fully agree. I think he also mentioned something about brevity...as regards to other people's works, that is.
Absolutely!
I wonder if he'd have described Genji as a "whoreson zed"?
He just might ...
it does appear that Genji was an unnecessary letter...
BrokenTune 2 months ago
I think it would have been a great book at the time it was written and for the audience it was written for, but tastes and the way we (at least I!) need a story to be told have changed. I don't have the patience to listen to/read the tales when they are so drawn out and repetitive. I am sure it would have worked much better when Murasaki came up with the tales and told them to the ladies at the court - probably in installments.
Yes, it does seem like this is a prime example of that type of book -- its significance is not so much in its contents but, rather, in its existence as such, and in its being an exhibit of a specific time and place (and mode of storytelling).

I wonder if Sei Shonagan's "Pillow Book" is any more accessible to the modern reader -- and whether the fact that (unlike "Gengi") it was not originally meant for the consumption of others, nor contains one single, more or less sequential narrative, makes it more or less accessible to a modern reader with a passing, but not necessarily super-profound knowledge of 11th century Japan?
Lillelara 2 months ago
There is no need to suffer through a book that you donĀ“t enjoy just because it is a classic. And I would say you gave this book a fair chance of winning you over.
BrokenTune 2 months ago
I know...
isanythingopen 2 months ago
Chuck if you aren't enjoying it. I've DNF'd after 800pgs.