Hol 2 years ago
This sounds....difficult. I hate it when a blurb gives away details of the plot and...everything else. Are you considering DNFing?
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Part of me really does not want to DNF this because it would be another book my book club picked that I have not finished or hated or both.
Also, I'm curious how the author is going to treat the topic.

But as far as my own tastes and expectations go, this book is awful.

Maybe it's the Edinburgh setting, maybe it's having a female DI, but every other page I'm wishing I was reading a McDermid "Karen Pirie" novel.
Hol 2 years ago
Ah, book club pick explains it because I thought it wasn't your usual type of read. How do they pick their books anyhow?
BrokenTune 2 years ago
TA asked the same question last month ... when I had issues with the book club pick also:

"How are they picked? - The library has a list (they change it annually). It's about 15 pages of A4 with a picture of the cover and a short blurb for each book. So, it's a substantial list for a public library...and because our group is quite small (between 3 and 6 people, depending on who turns up), the librarian always reminds us that we don't need to stick to the list - if they have enough copies across the libraries, we can order them for a group read.

But essentially, the group (democratically) picks six books in advance from the list. It really is quite a varied list, but it is also quite a varied group and some are more widely read than others.
I discovered Abouela through them, and that was a positive surprise, and have found some other books that I would never have read. (I'm sure I mentioned Larchfield before.)
Tho, on the whole, the groups tastes are nowhere near mine - apart from one lady who sometimes joins in.
I like the group, tho. They are mostly retired ladies who live locally in that part of town (in the former village near my work) but all of whom moved there at some point. And I love how their reactions to the books is sometimes not at all what I expected."
Hol 2 years ago
It sounds like a fun group and one that might be worth continuing.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Yes. I definitely want to stick with the group, but I have no illusions about liking many of the books.