Abandoned by user 2 years ago
I feel like character development in modern fiction has taken a distinct turn for the worse. Authors are so consumed with giving their characters flaws, because they think this is more "realistic", that they are rather forgetting that the vast majority of people are actually more than just a collection of flaws.

Everyone I know has redeeming qualities (with a few exceptions, that I only know because I am prosecuting them for murder or something equally indefensible). Making a character unrelentingly horrible in an attempt verisimilitude is no more realistic than making a character utterly perfect.

This is the problem with the current so-called thriller genre. Reviewers keep calling these shitty people "complicated" or "interesting," when in reality, they're just terrible.
What she said.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Yup. And since the characters came across as idiots right from the start and were even assholes to each other, i.e. their own "friends", it was unlikely to improve from there.

Add to that that the writing and logistics didn't work for me. There were many things that just didn't add up - like the guy bringing in oysters from Mallaig on the same day even tho he took the train, or the estate having its own train station (if the Queen's train station was decommissioned on a popular line, there is little chance of a private estate having their own station), etc.
@BT that's annoying. I am getting a bit fed up with thrillers that have every adult in a state of arrested development.
Abandoned by user 2 years ago
I'm 100% over it and won't read "domestic thrillers" anymore.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Part of me thinks that I should still give Gone Girl and the one with the woman on the train a go, just to see what they are about, but I know full well that this not likely to end well.
Abandoned by user 2 years ago
I think that if you had read Gone Girl when it was first published, you might have *enjoyed* it (or at least been willing to grudgingly acknowledge that it was a pretty interesting and well-executed concept). At this point, everything is just a hollow, less successful redo of Gone Girl, so it's lost it's luster.

The Girl on the Train is just a piece of shit, but I would LOVE to read your status updates, lol.

The Girl Before is even worse.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Hahahaha.

I'm almost tempted. You know, one of these when I am in slump or have a craving for a rage-read, I might actually do it. ;)
Abandoned by user 2 years ago
I will continue to hope.
OMG I loathed Girl on a Train so bad. And the only reason why Gone Girl works is as Moonlight says, it was the first so you're not expecting it. But I am still mad at The Girl on the Train since that was the precursor of terrible people doing things that makes zero sense for "twists."
BrokenTune 2 years ago
LoL. That does sound terrible.
Hol 2 years ago
I started this one, but quickly DNFed it.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
What put you off?
Hol 2 years ago
I can't remember! I do know that it was recommended by the Guardian, which is why I picked it up.