The Doran RSC production you have, is that the all-black one from 2012?
Yup. That's the one. :)
BrokenTune 2 years ago
How was the Granada Holmes book?
Decidedly better than I expected. Frankel has quite a way with words, and he knows what he's talking about -- not merely in terms of the ACD Canon itself but also in terms of the production details; there's plenty of insight, including into things that even after having watched the series often enough to be able to reproduce large chunks of dialogue from memory, still hadn't occurred to me. He's obviously a fan of both the Canon and the Granada series, but that doesn't stop him from criticizing, on occasion harshly, where he feels that criticism is due (as to any fan, it only makes the need to criticize that much more painful). Mostly I agree with him, both in criticism and in praise, though some of the things he singles out are things that, if I'd noticed them at all, they firmly stayed in my unconscious (see above) -- and on some issues, I flat-out disagree ... but such is taste, of course.

The format of disecting each individual episode (and of doing so according to the same format every time, in turn) gets a bit repetitive, of course, if read as a straigiht consecutive text, so I spread it out over a perod of 2+ weeks. But as a piece of reference both for every episode and for the series as a whole -- including the participants' own views, as expressed in a multitude of interviews and other source material --, it's a good book to have. What I particularly liked was that Frankel -- like Cox and especially Brett himself -- frequently refers back to the actual stories and measures the adaptations by their fidelity to the Canon and (particularly where they diverge from the stories) by whether they enhance or undercut our understanding of Holmes (and the Holmes-Watson friendship). I kind of feel like going through the entire series again now, first reading the corresponding story, then watching the adaptation, then taking another look at Frankel's take on it and see whether I still agree or disagree with him ...
BrokenTune 2 years ago
As if one needed extra motivation to watch the entire series again... LOL.

It sounds like a fascinating read in any case.
It was! :) And as for that motivation ... yeah. Definitely. :D
When did the All Blacks take time off from rugby to stage a Shakespeare play?!
;-)
Lillelara 2 years ago
Just reading about the Ides of March made me think of the Monty Python sketch "Julius Caesar on an aldis lamp". I really needed that laugh. Thanks BT.

And I´m deeply impressed by your Shakespeare project. That´s one thing that I´ll never will accomplish in my life.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
LoL. I had not thought of the MP sketch. Thanks for that.
The thing I have been hard to not snigger about and that's been on my mind for the entire day has been the most famous scene from Carry On Cleo - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNOHxktvo58

The Shakespeare Project has been a blast. I love it. And it is decidedly easier than it sounded at the beginning because 1) there is no pressure behind it, and 2) most of the plays have either been performed by great casts/productions or they have led to other great books. (Stanley Wells' books are fab!)
Heh. I predictably second the Wells recommendation ... :)

And thanks to both of you for the laughs.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Especially the Why Shakespeare Was Shakespeare article by Wells comes to mind for entertainment value. But I still have one more Wells book on my Will's Worls shelf - Shakespeare, Sex & Love, which I have a hunch will be entertaining, too.

Btw, I am loving Julius Caesar. For some reason I have so far always found something in every play that seems to fit in with current events. Today these have all come from Brutus' speeches:

"O judgement, thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason!"

&

"There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;
Omitted, all the voyage of their life
Is bound in shallows and in miseries."

(Obviously, I also cheered the reference for its Agatha link.)

&

"Good reasons must of force give place to better."
Lillelara 2 years ago
In these difficult times we have to take every laugh that we can get :)

I´m a bit hesitant about the Shakespeare plays themselves. Somehow I got it in my head that they are too difficult to read. I have Othello on my shelf, maybe I should just pick it up and try it out.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
You know, I found the "histories" really daunting at first, but once you get into the rhythm and figure out who is who, they are not that hard to follow at all. If you think about it, they were written for the 16th century theatre-goer, so they can't be too difficult.
Lillelara 2 years ago
The fun thing is that I understand everything when I watch a Shakespeare play (at least when it is perfomed by an English theatre company. My local theater and Shakespeare ... unfathomably bad). I really have to give his plays a try.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
They are meant to be performed! But I like seeing the text, too, which is why the Arkangel audio productions have been so perfect, I can hear them being performed by outstanding professionals and I can read along!
@Lillelara: If you get a copy of
you'll find, among many other interesting/helpful things, scene-by-scene synopses of each play. You can just read those as you go along if you're confused about anything. I did.
Lillelara 2 years ago
Thanks for the audiobooks recs. I will definitely check those ones out. And duh, I have Macbeth on my shelf, not Othello.
Macbeth is a great one to start with. So, for that matter, is Much Ado About Nothing.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Re Macbeth: :D Even better! (I know, I'm biased.)
Lillelara 2 years ago
You know, I´m on vacation the week after this one and since Schleswig-Holstein is in a lockdown and I´m spending a lot of time in my apartement, alone, I will be reading a whole lot of books. And Macbeth will be one of these books.
That is, if there isn´t an emergency at work and I have to work all of a sudden.
Fingers crossed for your work situation.

And FWIW, the Arkangel "Macbeth" is one of the best installments in the entire series.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
^^^^ Seconded! All of it! The Arkangel Macbeth is fabulous!

Our CEO sent an email earlier today asking people to work from home where possible. I've been expecting this since a lot of other companies around us have started this last week. So, I expect that I'll turn up at our new offices tomorrow morning to do three things:
1. Collect my new entry badge/swipe card,
2. Hold a staff meeting to discuss work from home requirements;
3. Bugger off home.

So, I foresee being at home for the foreseeable future and catching up on A LOT of audiobooks.
Hooray -- good for both of you!
Lillelara 2 years ago
It´s so good for you that you are allowed to work from home :). Stay safe everyone.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Most people won't be able to do this. My team is very lucky this way. But if social distancing works in slowing down the spread, then that is the least we can do.

One of the two (?) confirmed cases in my town worked only about 10 meters away from the husband of the person in the office next to me. It somehow brings it home how connected we all are.
The time I saw Julius Caesar performed, I was in the courtyard of Conwy Castle, North Wales.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Oh, that sounds like a great setting!
I wish I'd had more to cushion me from the cobbles, though - no chairs!
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Ouch. Yeah, that sort of thing defo needs cushioning.
All I had was a foam camping mattress...
BrokenTune 2 years ago
It did spoil my enjoyment a bit, unfortunately.