Lol. What could possibly go wrong?
BrokenTune 1 year ago
I'm chuckling at the bits and pieces I recognise from his other plays just as much as at some of the dialogue.
He was a past master at stealing from himself ... and from others.
BrokenTune 1 year ago
Yup. And it is brilliant. One of the fascinating aspects of the project is seeing how much he "recycled".

Btw, did you ever get a chance to watch Upstart Crow?
Nooo ... still have to! (It's definitely on my list, though.)
BrokenTune 1 year ago
There is a running joke throughout the series about him taking credit for words and phrases. It's quite funny.
I bet. This was also one of the things I loved about the mini-Shakespeare snippet in "Good Omens", incidentally. It's just too good to waste!
Lillelara 1 year ago
I have read Romeo and Juliet before, but I didnĀ“t make that connection. Thankfully this is a comedy ;)
BrokenTune 1 year ago
....LoL. So, apparently was The Merchant of Venice. ;)
Well, by the definitions of the time, everything that didn't end with "everybody dies" and where at least one couple had a happy ending was defined as a comedy. And that's the bar that "Merchant of Venice" takes ...
BrokenTune 1 year ago
It was a very low bar.
Pretty sure it was a Priest in the earlier play - totally different! ;-)
... right. Never mind the further developments in this play (and where they take place) ... :)
BrokenTune 1 year ago
Are you sure it wasn't Friar Laurence? ;)
Yep - you're right! I totally mis-remembered that.
BrokenTune 1 year ago
I only remember that because I saw a fabulous production of it when on a school trip to Stratford-u.-A. that featured a very memorable Friar.
Played by whom?
BrokenTune 1 year ago
Richard Cordery. I think. I didn't buy a programme...don't ask, but yes I do regret that, and if I had the chance, I'd give the 16-year-old me a talking to. It was a school trip. It was very cool, but I was in the minory about that at the time. There were other aspects of the production that we're "essential canon" stuff for me, too.
Pity, but of course I don't blame you. What 16-year-old can you possibly expect to acquire a theatre program during a school trip?