Lillelara 1 year ago
Oh, I love that Persephone is doing so well. I just got my next book of my 12 month subscription in the mail belatedly. I was quite suprised that they managed to get the book on it´s way.
BrokenTune 1 year ago
Nicola B. writes that they are flat out and about 600 orders behind, so orders are taking up to 2 weeks at the moment. It's all because 1) they have had lots of orders and 2) they can only have one person working in the shop each day. You've been right? You know how tiny it is.

I am looking to renew my subscription soon, too. I wanted to whittle down the unread books I have at home first and felt a bit bad for not supporting them sooner, so reading the newsletter really eased my concerns for them.
Lillelara 1 year ago
No, I haven´t managed to go to the shop myself, unfortunately. It´s something I have to do whenever I will be back in London.
I´ve just gotten my March book in the mail. My April and May book will eventually arrive at some later point then.
BrokenTune 1 year ago
They are also working weekends at the moment...so yeah, they are doing what they can. It's just taking a bit longer.
Lillelara 1 year ago
I´m definitely not complaining :). And with the things that are going on at the moment, I think packages from the UK may take considerably take longer to arrive in Germany. I´m just happy when they get delivered to me at all.
BrokenTune 1 year ago
Do you still have any unread Persephone titles at home?
Lillelara 1 year ago
Of course I have ;). I just lugged them down from my shelves. Unread are:

"Cheerful Weather for the Wedding" by Julia Strachey
"Greenery Street" by Denis MacKail
"The Call" by Edith Ayrton Zangwill
"High Wages" by Dorothy Whipple
"Miss Buncle Married" by DE Stevenson
BrokenTune 1 year ago
No matches with my little stack. :( But I really want to try Dorothy Whipple's books at some point, and High Wages sounds great. As do your other choices.

The ones I have are:
The Blank Wall - Elisabeth Sanxay Holding
Vain Shadow - Jane Hervey
A Very Great Profession - Nicola Beauman
A Woman's Place: 1910-1975 - Ruth Adam, and
Greengates - R.C. Sherriff.
Lillelara 1 year ago
The Blank Wall was excellent. Vain Shadow was okay, I haven´t had much an opinion on that one. i will get Greengates later in the year. It´s actually one of the books in my subscriptions I´m looking forward to the most. I really loves Sheriff´s The Hopkins Manuscript.
I love the sound of the Ruth Adam book.
SilverThistle 1 year ago
I should really try harder, Amazon and ebay are just too easy. I do use Book Depository now and then, but still....
BrokenTune 1 year ago
Well, it is hard to argue with Amazon pricing and things like one-day delivery, or instant delivery for kindle content. It really is. I looked up a book today that I was interested in, but all of the non-Ammy sources were more expensive (for a paperback) than buying the title on Ammy as a kindle ebook AND adding the audiobook (together). I think I'll just wait for now.

I love eBay as a source for books, too, tho. At least, it's not Ammy, so some smaller sellers get to take part in the book trade.
SilverThistle 1 year ago
Exactly, I'd love to buy from wee book shops but the prices just can't compete. I feel bad but it's just not do-able. The kind of books I read are usually 99p on kindle (or free a lot of the time) plus adding Audible for less than £4 most of the time means I just can't pass them up. I've got about 2k audible books on my kindle(s) (zero exaggeration, lol) and acquisitions don't look likely to slow down any time soon. Paper books are also steadily piling up throughout various rooms in the house. That one-click buy thing is deadly. It's a compulsion. It's not like I ever read/listen to any of them! LOL!
That sounds excellent all around! And the fajita looks delicious.
BrokenTune 1 year ago
:D
The fajita looks really yum! So glad to hear that you also enjoyed Things In Jars - one of my favourites.
BrokenTune 1 year ago
Thanks. Things in Jars was a great random pick. Well, Lillelara's updates made the book sound irresistible.
Lucky! I ordered books in the middle of March and they still haven't arrived. :(
BrokenTune 1 year ago
:( I hope they will arrive soon.
Oh my god, that fajita has me drooling. I really can't see anything beyond that.
BrokenTune 1 year ago
It was rather tasty, even if I say so myself.