Familiar Diversions 1 year ago
I haven't read this one, but I don't think Connie Willis has ever written YA, or at least nothing that's been marketed as YA.
BrokenTune 1 year ago
Hm,... Thanks. That is really good to know. Maybe the tone changes later on.
Tannat 1 year ago
I have read this one, and although it is a bit annoying because it's all breathless running around by people stranded in the past (once they get there), I would definitely not call it YA. Have you read her Doomsday Book or her To Say Nothing of the Dog?
BrokenTune 1 year ago
She is a new author to me.
Tannat 1 year ago
Ah. I would recommend Doomsday Book or To Say Nothing of the Dog over Blackout/All Clear although they all have a kind of breathless tone to them.
BrokenTune 1 year ago
I'm not bothered by breathlessness. But, do her other books also suffer from historical infodumping? That's what's grating on me with this one. It feels patronising. But since I am only at the start of the book, I am hoping it is just "scene setting" .
Tannat 1 year ago
I don't remember in contrast to Blackout. I remember I wasn't all that keen on Blackout but I don't remember the actual infodumping in it. I don't *think* so but I can't swear to it. There are definitely issues with historical inaccuracies in all of her books, but that hasn't stopped me from loving some of them anyway.
BrokenTune 1 year ago
Thanks Tannat. That is really good to know. I'll see if the library has her other books, and maybe try one of the ones you recommended. From what I have read so far, Willis is clearly enthusiastic about historical fiction.
Tannat 1 year ago
No problem. They may or may not work for you, it depends on whether you get sucked in despite their flaws.