I've never seen a positive review of this book...
BrokenTune 1 year ago
Now you tell me.
Tannat 1 year ago
Actually, I don't remember if she ended up at the time she thought....I can check with a friend who may remember the book better.
BrokenTune 1 year ago
She ends up four days late. :)
Tannat 1 year ago
Alright my friend says she thought she arrived on time (i.e. only four days late) but people were remarkably calm about the bombing. Don't know myself.
My mom's family were living in Berlin when the city was bombed. The mere idea of anyone "getting used to" or "adjusting to" being bombed near-continuously is ludicrous.
BrokenTune 1 year ago
Yeah, that's what I gathered from everything I've heard, too.
I've got this but haven't read it, or the sequel... if it's that bad I might just ditch them instead. I liked Doomsday book (provided that you ignore the fact that a civilization that invented the time machine couldn't sort it's telecommunications system out properly).
BrokenTune 1 year ago
I don't know, the info-dumping grated on me already, and then throwaway comments like the one I quoted appeared throughout the part that I read, too. Oh, I and tho I get what the idea behind the plot is, I have no idea what the actual point of the plot is. I.e. I get that time travel allows for research, but what is the point of the particular research?

I really don't know but I thought it would have been a fun book to read in my teenage years. Reading it now just felt like being talked down to quite a lot, especially when one is fairly familiar with the historical background. And since quite a few of the comments throughout the part I read were rather naive, bordering on the polemic, and without a hint of analysis or critique, it's just not a book I would recommend.

It's a fairly quick read tho even for its size, and if you ended up starting the book, I'd love to know if you enjoy it or if you also have issues with it.
The book and it's sequel having been sitting on my shelf for years. I bought them because I usually like the author's writing but I don't particularly care for war stories so I've been putting it off. I'm not likely to get around to it any time soon either.