7 years ago
Glaswegian? I remember watching Rab C. Nesbitt with subtitles!
BrokenTune 7 years ago
Yes. The book's dialect is not as bad as Rab C. Nesbit but it does take getting used to as it's written in the way that a Glaswegian would sound rather than actual Glaswegian words....if that makes sense.

For example, the first paragraph reads:
"Ma Da's a nutter. Radio rental. He'd dae anythin for a laugh so he wid; went doon the shops wi a perra knickers on his heid, tellt the wifie next door we'd won the lottery and were flittin tae Barbadoes,but that wis daft stuff compared tae whit he's went and done noo. He turnt intae a Buddhist."
7 years ago
I couldn't read that for long without going balmy.
BrokenTune 7 years ago
Yes, it will never be an international bestseller. But that is ok.
I was going to say -- this is the sort of stuff that needs to be heard, not read ... :)

Ian Rankin and James Robertson have passages in Scots brogue in their books, too, and those I love ... I tend to purposely imagine how they would sound if actually spoken. Imagination works better if I've just returned from a trip to Scotland myself, however! And I don't think either Rankin or Robertson has written an entire work in phonetic Scots dialect.
BrokenTune 7 years ago
Yes, absolutely. It has to be heard - which makes it easier to understand. But also when read aloud the rhythm comes across much better and it gives the scenes quite a nice flow.
Which one is the "Crossing to Safety" review you mentioned?
Ah! Thank you -- yes, I see how it made you think of Anne Donovan ...

(And I'd agree that "Crossing to Safety" isn't Stegner at his best. Still plenty of beautiful language, but err, yes, "character-driven" is a friendly way of describing it ... Personally, I vastly prefer "Angle of Repose", "Remembering Laughter" and "Big Rock Candy Mountain" -- all those I love. Also, for that matter, "The Spectator Bird" -- another late work -- and a book that isn't a favorite with most others, "A Shooting Star".)

How does Denise Mina score for Glaswegian authenticity in your book, btw?
BrokenTune 7 years ago
I can't say I've ever read any of her books. Are they any good?
I like them, but not as much as Rankin's. Which may also have to do with my slight preference of Edinburgh over Glasgow, however!