Martini 6 years ago
Whenever I read this title, I've got the song in my ear. And I have to admit, it is the Guns 'n' Roses version...
BrokenTune 6 years ago
Blasphemy (check my shelves, you'll know what i mean)! No seriously, I cannot read or hear the title without thinking about the song. It is one of my favourites and still gives me shivers. Though, for obvious reasons (again - shelves), I prefer the original to the cover.
Martini 6 years ago
I knew that... Just a little friday night teasing! ;)
BrokenTune 6 years ago
I do like G'n'R's version of Knocking on Heaven's Door, though. :)
Martini 6 years ago
Yes, that's one of their better cover songs. They shouldn't have covered Sympathy for the Devil, though.
BrokenTune 6 years ago
Nope. *sigh* They were a good band. While it lasted.
Martini 6 years ago
Indeed. I've head the displeasure of listening to Chinese Democracy... *smh* If it's only Axl, it's not the same.
Although Velvet Revolver weren't that bad.
BrokenTune 6 years ago
VR always struck me as neither fish nor flesh. Just "meh". I cannot remember any of their songs - but I'm sure I had some of their tunes kicking about at some point.
Martini 6 years ago
Yep. What I meant was: they weren't as bad as Axl home alone.
BrokenTune 6 years ago
Well, who is, really? :-)
Martini 6 years ago
Good point! :D
Lillelara 6 years ago
So, the way Sean Connery has depicted James Bond in the movies is somewhat true to the book version of that character. I always imagined that.
And I totally have to read a James Bond novel in the near future. So many books, so little time :-)
BrokenTune 6 years ago
Yeah, I'd agree about Sean Connery being the truest to character in the films. But even his Bond is still more civilised than Bond on the page. Which one of the Bond novels are you going to go for?
Lillelara 6 years ago
The first James Bond movies have a lot of face palm moments when it comes to his dealings with women, but it´s played out in a way that you hardly can take his behaviour seriously. I´m curious how this is going to play out in the books. But now I´m properly prepared, thanks to your warning.
I´m going to read the first one, Casino Royal. I like to read books in the right order.
BrokenTune 6 years ago
I liked CR a lot. If nothing else it has the recipe for his Vesper martini in it.
Lillelara 6 years ago
So it is set, I´m going to read Casino Royal. Now I have to know what the thing with Vespers martini is. Probably it is stirred not shaken ;).
BrokenTune 6 years ago
;) Such a shame spoiler-tags don't work in comments.
Lillelara 6 years ago
Oh man, now I have to read this book after I have finished "The Perfect Storm". The ... anticipation ... is ... killing ... me :D.
BrokenTune 6 years ago
Oh dear. It's probably not that exciting....
Lillelara 6 years ago
I´m going to read it as well. If all else fails, I´m going to mix my very first martini. I haven´t tasted one before.
BrokenTune 6 years ago
Excellent! That's the spirit! In fact, there are certain books that should be read accompanied by quality beverages. I'd say CR is one of them.
Lillelara 6 years ago
:D Mr. Martini and I are going to get acquainted. Fortunately my mother has a bottle Vermouth down in her basement, so I only have to buy some Gin ... now that I´m thinking of it, that doesn´t sound delicious at all ;)
BrokenTune 6 years ago
Ok, ok, I'm going to spoiler it in minute by adding to the list of ingredients. If you don't want me to, say it now. It's just that if you are going through the effort of mixing drinks for the read, you may want the full recipe.
Martini 6 years ago
@Lillelara: Nope, Mr. Martini is mine. :P
LOL.
Lillelara 6 years ago
Oh, I´m so sorry. He is all yours :D.
Martini 6 years ago
Thanks. *puts dagger back in her purse* Enjoy your drink! :)
BrokenTune 6 years ago
Aha, thankfully the internet as the source of all wisdom has an answer that can be easily linked to:

Lillelara 6 years ago
That sounds quite delicious, but it seems to me, the Vesper can cause a bad headache. I think I need a good nights sleep to make my decision.
:D
It is the most sexist story in the series.

Having said this, I still get one hell of a kick out of the James Bond movies. If I were the Almighty, there would’ve been some Roger Moore Bond vs William Shatner crossover insanity.
BrokenTune 6 years ago
Can I please urge you to submit that plan to the current producers?
That would be great, wouldn't it?
Oh, yes. I'd watch that.
Degrees of Affection 6 years ago
Great review! I've never read Fleming but I love the quote you had. You could picture it perfectly. The chauvinism and the rest I can take if the rest makes it worth my while...and I think his writing might. Fleming moves up my list.
BrokenTune 6 years ago
Thanks! The writing is quite good, and the plot is quite good, I just wish Bond wasn't such an idiot. But, yeah, if that doesn't bother you and you like a dark story, Fleming is good. (Nowhere near as good as Greene, but they were on different levels anyway.) I still need to write up my review of the first part of the Bond short stories "For Your Eyes Only". There are a couple of real gems in there - Quantum of Solace (nothing to do with the film) and The Hildebrand Rarity. Both are quite dark and reminded me of a better version of Somerset-Maugham.