8 years ago
One of these days I'll read some Hardy and see if I get on with the style. Pastoral doesn't sound like my kind of thing, but I'll give it a go. If I don't like it, I'm not too proud to DNF a classic. It wouldn't be the first time.
BrokenTune 8 years ago
I have no problem abandoning books - life's too short. There are few parts where Hardy's writing is very good but his characters just don't keep me interested.
Reflections 8 years ago
Sheep symbolism? I was briefly excited by that idea, imagining the rich possibilities for sheep as literary tools, until I realized you might just mean that Hardy describes people who follow mindlessly as sheep-like. Likewise, your comment about Hardy's sheep descriptions had me picturing careful, detailed word portraits of individual sheep, which charmed and intrigued me for as long as I could maintain the belief in that possibility.
BrokenTune 8 years ago
If only.... No, he uses sheep to portray nature, create mood, and characterize people - not necessarily as mind-less (that might be an insult to sheep) but as feeling comfortable in a "herd" rather than as individuals. Anyway, that is what I took away from it. In a way the sheep were more interesting than the main characters.
Degrees of Affection 8 years ago
I think I tried Tess and didn't get past the first chapter. I know he's one I should attempt but he's low on the list. Though Alan Rickman reading...
That's tempting. :-)
BrokenTune 8 years ago
I figured the only chance of me reading another Hardy is if I get some serious help...
Murder by Death 8 years ago
I'll admit Alan Rickman reading it makes it sound more interesting to me.
BrokenTune 8 years ago
Yes, he could read the phone book to me and I would not mind a bit.
Reflections 8 years ago
Or a shopping list.
BrokenTune 8 years ago
Or the back of bus ticket.
Reflections 8 years ago
Or the tiny print enclosures that come with prescription medicines? Actually I'd like Rickman to read that to me. It would be comforting.
BrokenTune 8 years ago
Yeah, it would be. I'll keep that in mind. Next time I get a prescription, I imagine his voice reading the side effects.
Reflections 8 years ago
Exactly.
bookaneer 8 years ago
Have you seen this clip where Sessions tells a story about Rickman's hatred of playing villains?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc3OyvbJkj4 (Good part starts at 2:15)

Although sadly, he does play Colonel Brandon in one version of Sense&Sense. Um...no.
BrokenTune 8 years ago
Best Colonel Brandon ever! :)
It's a Mad Mad World 8 years ago
Hell yes to Alan Rickman reading a book, I think even a boring book would suddenly be a little more interesting...
BrokenTune 8 years ago
Exactly! If anyone can make me care about Hardy, it's got to be Alan.
It's a Mad Mad World 8 years ago
But I would have prefered it that he read the book in person right next to me...hehe
BrokenTune 8 years ago
Yes, there is that, but not many of have the option to do so. The audio book will have to do. :(
bookaneer 8 years ago
I'm so with you on this. I made it all the way through Tess and Madding, but it was a struggle. I was so detached from the books that they didn't even feel tragic.
BrokenTune 8 years ago
Yes, it is a shame in a way. I'm sure both are fine works for social criticism, but they are completely useless if the reader cannot care about the characters. Empathy fail!