Darth Pedant 7 years ago
I can't do audio. My hands are empty, so I must give them a task. Then I get distracted and start to tune it out and have to rewind because I have no idea what the narrator has been saying for the last 20 minutes or so, but gosh, that was a neat row of cross-stitches I just did, and with all those thread changes, too! So I stick to text, a medium which requires more of my focus and plays to my brain's hardwired tendency to pick up on patterns and inconsistencies and such. My cross-stitch gets neglected, but at least I remember the story. XD
Darth Pedant 7 years ago
Yeah, it's not a skill I've ever been able to develop. My brother is kind of the opposite. He's an audio learner, as they used to say in school, and I'm very much a visual learner. He can listen to audio books while writing computer code and retain most of what he hears (and not screw up the coding). I can't. And it's not a multi-tasking issue, because I *can* compartmentalize and multi-task. But if there's an audio component in there, my brain tends to filter it out as background noise. I even tune out people speaking to me sometimes (spare a moment of sympathy for my poor husband). Picture the adults speaking in Peanuts and you'll have a fairly accurate representation of what school was like for me. It's the same with music. I remember melodies and lyrics better if I can study the sheet music than if I just listen to it. In order to listen to an audio book (or podcast, lecture, casual conversation) I have to hyper focus and give it my full attention, and then everything else gets shut out. So I stick to print. *shrug*
Darth Pedant 7 years ago
He's doing a helluva lot better than Hearn and Miller so far. I gotta give the guy props for that.
Murder by Death 7 years ago
I'm the same way - I can't listen to audio and do anything else, and if I try to just sit and listen, I fall asleep. If I'm reading or doing something visual that requires focus, I tune out completely (and Darth Pony, it drives my husband bonkers).

The exception is when I'm driving. I had to start with audio versions of books I'd already read so if I had moments of tuning out I'd still know what was going on, but after a couple of books, I was able to listen to 'first reads'. They've saved my sanity battling morning traffic. Still can't listen anywhere else though.
Darth Pedant 7 years ago
MbD, your hubby and mine can start a Tuned Out Husbands Club. They can talk to each other when we're non-maliciously ignoring them. :D I'm attempting to train myself to retain audio input while multi-tasking by listening to short (30ish-minute) podcasts on subjects that interest me and I'm meeting with limited success. I do okay for short periods when I'm performing mindless tasks, but the second my brain engages . . . yeah.

Troy, love your can-do attitude! :)
Murder by Death 7 years ago
You could be on to something here... if your husband likes sports at all, we could get a lot of reading done! :)