The Nearly Reader 7 years ago
I read this when I was in college, and I don't recall anything about it. I think I read it because I wanted the bragging rights (plus it's referenced in The Stand). So two good reasons I shouldn't have read it just because.
Darth Pedant 7 years ago
I read Vanity Fair when I was barely out of my teens just to prove that I could (my sister said I'd never get all the way through it), so I totally get the whole reading for bragging rights thing. Been there, done that. :)
BrokenTune 7 years ago
One of the tv stations aired the movie in the afternoon on Easter Sunday. It did not go down well.
Darth Pedant 7 years ago
Oh dear! That's inspired holiday programming right there. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
BrokenTune 7 years ago
It caused some outrage. But I too had to laugh. I'm just sorry for all the kids who have been traumatised.
i had to read this book in 8th, 9th, 10th and 11th grade... no more for me
BrokenTune 7 years ago
That's just cruel! Why?
Darth Pedant 7 years ago
Yes, why? O.o
no idea... i guess for the same reason we only read the 4 same books every year ... too many schools lacking in lit approval
Darth Pedant 7 years ago
Well, I guess it could've been worse. :/
BrokenTune 7 years ago
Wow. That is so sad.
Murder by Death 7 years ago
No way - you are a better adjusted person than I just for attempting it. Good luck!
Darth Pedant 7 years ago
Better adjusted or already insane? ;)
Murder by Death 7 years ago
Let's go with better adjusted, lol. It sounds better when you go through immigration. ;)
Darth Pedant 7 years ago
Oooh, good thinking! ;)
Oh how I loved this book! Fortunately, I didn't have to read it in school because then we would have had to "discuss" it and tear it into little pieces to try to understanding each meaning. I just read it by myself and thoroughly enjoyed this magical story. I seldom re-read books but this is one that I should try to find time for to see what I would think of it so many years after having first read it.
Darth Pedant 7 years ago
I never had to read it in school either, thank goodness. I'm a little over halfway through now and I'm enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. It's been so long since the last time I tried to read it that I hardly remember a thing about it. It's sort of like going back to my old elementary school as a grown woman. I remember the shape of the building, but the classrooms are only vaguely familiar.