Why books need editors!
Darth Pedant 7 years ago
Right?! It kills me when this stuff happens in trad pub books because it means the author signed away a portion of his/her royalties to editors who didn't really do right by him/her. Where's the love?
Tannat 7 years ago
It also means that the author didn't spend enough time proofing the copy they sent him for that purpose (or didn't recruit the right people to do it for him). I once read a book where it looked like the editor gave up half-way through (I was very glad it was from the library).
Darth Pedant 7 years ago
Alas! I've read books like that too. I know funky things can happen during edits. Scenes are cut or changed or rearranged, characters moved about, etc., and it's super easy for stuff like this to get messed up. You really need fresh eyes to catch it, because by the time the final proofs are printed the author and editor(s) have read the book umpteen times, and the human brain's ability to auto-correct is frightful. It just sucks for everyone when the fail-safes fail. I try to look past it if the story is really good, but my inner pedant is loud and shrill.
Tannat 7 years ago
That's why I referenced recruiting the right people. It would be more forgivable if it were a first edition hardcover, but your copy appears to be the paperback...
The movies have "continuity editors" for the same reason. (And they screw up sometimes there, too.)
Darth Pedant 7 years ago
It's a first edition trade paperback, released the same time as the hardcover, so there's that.

And oh! I don't envy movie continuity editors. In the Gwyneth Paltrow Emma, the proposal scene near the end is a riot of changing hairstyles. It was filmed over a period of several weeks, during which Gwyneth's stylists forgot how they'd done her hair and her costar had a haircut. Once you notice it, you can't UN-notice. XD
Tannat 7 years ago
I'm just hoping that it's fixed in whatever copy I read by the time I get around to reading it. ^^ (I still haven't read Red Rising so there's hope.)