Darth Pedant 7 years ago
,,,
Murder by Death 7 years ago
You know, I'm not sure I care about Venetia one way or the other; everyone else left me with such strong emotional reactions I guess it made up for my Venetia apathy. (Sorry, my Venetia apathy!)
Darth Pedant 7 years ago
That's the problem with a character who always speaks her mind. There are no hidden depths to discover. What you see is what you get, so everyone else becomes a lot more interesting in contrast. At least, that's where my Venetia apathy came from. Even Mrs. Scorrier was way more interesting. Waaaaaay more interesting.
Murder by Death 7 years ago
In that Darth Vadar, better-him-than-me kind of way. :)
Darth Pedant 7 years ago
Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side. ;)
Darth Pedant 7 years ago
Well, color me magnanimous! ;) But there were parts of the book I really enjoyed, enough to knock it up from my baseline 2.5 to 3. Also, I'm a sucker for Regency settings and I enjoy Heyer's writing style, punctuation abuse notwithstanding. :)
Murder by Death 7 years ago
I figured Conway was stuck... at least with whatshername, his wife. I also figured once he came home he'd fob Mrs. Scorrier off on the older sister for at long as he could get away with. Although, come to think of it, the narrative mentioned she'd been kicked out of that house already.

Maybe she is why Heyer started writing murder mysteries?
Darth Pedant 7 years ago
This was my first online buddy read and I've declared it a success. It's been so much fun! And how hilarious would it be if Heyer had written a murder mystery with these characters? The entire household of Undershaw, upstairs and down, would be suspects should Mrs. Scorrier turn up dead.
Murder by Death 7 years ago
It would be a brilliant novel - it would take 300 pages just to find someone she didn't piss off to objectively investigate it. :D
Darth Pedant 7 years ago
Oh, Charlotte would totally be the guilty party. You're right, it's always the quiet ones. ;)