Debbie's Spurts 6 years ago
Well, I reckon all the Greek gods and goddesses were related where the mythology's all a morass of incest to some degree.
Darth Pedant 6 years ago
Yes indeedy. I was somehow able to ignore the implications of that the first time I picked up this series. This time around I keep picturing Pantheon meetings in which Ares and Hephaestus call Zeus and Hera "Uncle Dad" and "Aunt Mom" respectively.
Debbie's Spurts 6 years ago
Uh oh. Now I'm picturing it.
Eh, the "first cousins" thing doesn't bother me - I've always lived where that's legal. (As it is in much of the US South.)
Debbie's Spurts 6 years ago
"first cousin once removed" -- doesn't that mean second cousin anyway?
Your first cousin is the child of one of your parent's siblings. Their child would be your first cousin once removed. (That child and your child would be second cousins.)
Debbie's Spurts 6 years ago
Huh. I always called my cousins' kids my second cousins.

Well, except for those I called my double second cousins. (Long backwoods story of how my Dad's uncle married my Mom's aunt -- the aunt and uncle were in no way blood-related but makes for some odd family trees.)

"First cousin" only ever referred to the child of my parent's siblings with nothing tagging on to to explain additional relationships; "removes" were for cousins of cousins of cousins type of oddities -- other relative's cousins and relatives but not really your blood-relatives.
Darth Pedant 6 years ago
I grew up too far north to give the first cousins thing a pass. Or maybe my cousins just aren't my type. I tried to picture one of my nieces hooking up with my youngest cousin (they're fairly close in age) and my brain dumped the notion in the NOPE box and ran away. XD
Debbie's Spurts 6 years ago
I could never go for a known cousin. First or not. You don't date family. Squicky if cousins are similar aged; even squickier if different generations because that likely makes the older one a predator.

I suppose I can see it if extremely distant cousins who never met until adults but still questionable. I couldn't go into a romantic relationship already knowing related.

I refused to even go to a dance with my bff's cousin once. At time, I had some family tree stuff confused (very small town) and thought we were vaguely related — but, in hindsight knowing no blood relationship I still wouldn't have done it just because the bunch of us had grown up as "family" nearly as close as brothers and sisters.
Darth Pedant 6 years ago
"You don't date family." This 1000%. I have second cousins who aren't actually blood-related (there's adoption involved). They're very nice and good-looking, I hardly know them and have only seen them in person twice in my life, but still nope. Somewhere along the line, I was somehow indoctrinated with a soul-deep conviction that family members are not romantic prospects, no matter how distant the relation.