So you weren't impressed with Lesbia's sudden reappearance and her revelations? :D (Talk about deus / dea ex machina ... geez.)
Darth Pedant 5 years ago
OMG. There were more gods in this machine than the Greek Pantheon. :D
Haha, true. I think Lesbia takes the cake, though. For her name alone -- Lesbia Ravenna?!

I half expected the drowned not really to be drowned -- it's just that kind of book --, but Lesbia's was a pantheon-sized appearance ex machina all in her own right ...
Darth Pedant 5 years ago
Agreed 100%. Lesbia's appearance used up all the condensed coincidence, and that's why it wasn't foggy in London that day.
Hah. I think you've hit on it!
Murder by Death 5 years ago
Oh, good to hear! I was looking forward to reading more of them, but not if they were going to stick to a strict diet of will shenanigans. :D
Darth Pedant 5 years ago
Variety is the spice of life! I do wonder if Wentworth, consciously or unconsciously, realized that a strict diet of will shenanigans would result in some reader vitamin deficiency. The will in the third book steadfastly refused to be destroyed or changed for anyone's convenience.
"The only downside I can see to having more of Miss Silver in her own mysteries is that the more page time she gets, the more Tennyson she quotes." Hah. :)

Whereas Poirot and Harriet Vane have a penchant to quoting Wordsworth ... (and in Harriet's case, also other assorted poetry).
Darth Pedant 5 years ago
What is it with detectives and their poets? :) I didn't know that about Harriet, but I haven't read much Sayers. I need to rectify that in the future.
Yes! :D

Well, Harriet is a writer and she's got an Oxford University degree in English lit (same as Sayers herself) ... I guess in her case it comes with the territory. (Also, she loves nature and decides to go for a walking tour in Cornwall to get over her murder trial experience.) Though Poirot -- who after all hates the countryside -- and Wordsworth, of all people ...?
Darth Pedant 5 years ago
Huh. Now that you mention it, that is rather baffling.
There's one episode from the TV series where (in a deviation from the actual short story) they have Poirot and Hastings go to the Lake District in search for the missing (titular) "Clapham Cook". In that episode, Poirot is seen complaining loudly about the countryside AND Wordsworth, for his praise of it. It's not necessarily consistent with P.'s habit of quoting the man on other occasions -- but I've always thought it a very fitting touch.