BrokenTune 5 years ago
Haha. I really like Emily, too. :)
Darth Pedant 5 years ago
I like her *almost* as much as I liked Virginia Revel. :)
I love this one as well. Now if Dame Agatha had only desisted from making her independent young heroines end up marrying wussy washtowels ...
BrokenTune 5 years ago
Yup. Exactly that.
Darth Pedant 5 years ago
If only! So many of her couples are unequal in terms of strength and intellect, and she did it quite deliberately. Other characters often comment on what a waste it is. Was it perversity?
I've often wondered, but I think at least up to a point she bought into the notion that a weak man "needs" a strong woman to guide him through life. Don't know that she'd have gone so far as to consider it a strong woman's "duty" to marry a weaker man she happened to care for, but she certainly wasn't living in a society that would have considered it totally OK for women to live a life of complete independence to begin with ...
Darth Pedant 5 years ago
Very true. She did seem to be implying that the only fates in store for women like Emily were marriage to a fixer-upper or lying on your spinster invalid couch screeching for your nephew to paint your garden furniture and brush your cats.
Snort. :D

Yes -- which at first blush is quite surprising given the life she herself lived, but I think she did place great store in her own marriage ... and in the second one all the more after the first one had failed.
Murder by Death 5 years ago
There's a part of me that would like this to be a somehow back-handed stab at revenge against her first husband ... you know, 'I'm writing what I know here, having married that pitiful excuse for a man, Archie". It's weak, but fun to imagine. :)
Darth Pedant 5 years ago
Hmm... It would be interesting to chart her characters' relationships pre- and post-divorce/remarriage to see if there's a shift in dynamic.
BrokenTune 5 years ago
That would be interesting. Am I forgetting someone, or are Tommy and Tuppence the only couple we get to see "before and after"?
At a quick mental scan (of about 3-5 seconds), they're the only couple that I can think of, too. -- On second thought (about a minute later), oh, wait, no: Miss Marple's nephew Raymond (the "modernist" writer) and his wife Jane (the artist). -- But we do get to see few happy couples to begin with. A few young hopefuls, mostly on the "amateur detectives" side, plus a few of the charming young suspects who meet during a case; and also a few happily married couples, e.g., the Battles (Cf. "Towards Zero"). But for the most part, anyone trying to determine where the "dysfunctional marriage" trope in crime fiction originated need not look any further than Agatha Christie ... (once more).
Darth Pedant 5 years ago
She was quite the trailblazer!
She was -- in so many ways. Sometimes it feels like she and Conan Doyle almost created the whole genre between just the two of them ...