Elentarri's Book Blog 4 years ago
I ditched Terry Goodkind books years ago. The writing just got worse and worse and he included more political diatribe and sadism. I wouldn't be surprised if a raid on his house turned up a dungeon with all the usual torture implements and a whole bunch of victims.
Darth Pedant 4 years ago
I see what you mean. This is the first Goodkind I've read since reading Wizard's First Rule, and if I didn't know which one was written first I would think it was this one. It's . . . pretty bad. +1 to the dungeon theory.
Tannat 4 years ago
This makes me glad I've never read Terry Goodkind. I think. Unless it was in high school and I don't remember...
Elentarri's Book Blog 4 years ago
Wizard's First Rule wasn't bad - and could probably work as a standalone. But the rest starting going downhill and somewhere along the line there was an evil chicken (I didn't read that far).
Tannat 4 years ago
You don't normally get evil chickens...
Darth Pedant 4 years ago
I read Wizard's first rule years ago and liked it, and getting the rest of the series via the library was on my someday-tbr list, but after this I think I'll forego that dubious pleasure. :P
Elentarri's Book Blog 4 years ago
@ Tannat: No you don't but the writing isn't good enough for me to plough though a zillion novel series (+ author's torture fettish and religious mumbo jumbo) to find the evil chicken.
Elentarri's Book Blog 4 years ago
@Darth Pony: I'me sure wikipedia has a summary of the series? I wouldn't bother reading the novels.
Darth Pedant 4 years ago
Agreed. I think I'll just do my best to forget Goodkind writes books for a living.
Elentarri's Book Blog 4 years ago
I think he put some effort into into the first and maybe the second book. Buy then he had a whole group of fanboys willing to buy his novels just because his name was on it. Then he started writing crap because it simply didn't matter and no further effort was required to sell the novels.
Murder by Death 4 years ago
::rubs hands in anticipatory hope:: Is there a review forthcoming?
Darth Pedant 4 years ago
LOL I was going to sit on it a little to see if some distance made me hate it less, but the more I think about it the more annoyed I get. I'm tempted to just post all seven pages and be done with it. XD
Elentarri's Book Blog 4 years ago
Oh yes!! Please?????? Shred the book to bits!! This author pissed me off no end. He took a perfectly good set of characters and an original world and screwed it up completely.
Murder by Death 4 years ago
HA! You think to scare me with 7 pages of notes, but I've seen your random thoughts of book disdain. BRING IT! I'm off to pop the corn...

;-)

(No pressure, of course, you know I love your book reviews - especially when a book has failed you - but I do get needing distance sometimes.)
Darth Pedant 4 years ago
Alright. I have done the dishes and eaten a crumpet with butter and honey. That's enough distance. Review with seven pages of notes forthcoming. *evil grin*
Elentarri's Book Blog 4 years ago
YAY!!!
Tannat 4 years ago
Seconded! Yay!
... ayayay ... [= cue echoed "yay" coming in at the tail end of the conversation.] Have nothing to add except for a strong endorsement for the "bring it." Somebody want potato chips with their popcorn?
Darth Pedant 4 years ago
Random thoughts of book disdain have been posted. And I would kill for a bag of potato chips right now. XD
Murder by Death 4 years ago
Ooh, ooh! I just got back from the pool (I did a croissant instead of a crumpet), and am getting caught up on comments before hitting the dashboard - I can't WAIT to read it! :D

(I had to go to bed last night, so yes, I'm behind...)
Darth Pedant 4 years ago
I went to bed quite late, so I applaud you for taking better care of yourself! ;)