Murder by Death 4 years ago
I had to go back and re-read your review ... and laughed all over again! :)
Darth Pedant 4 years ago
Hah! I start out laughing and then as I go along and remember my reading experience I'm assailed by fresh irritation. XD
Murder by Death 4 years ago
At least the first time around there were donuts involved. :)
Darth Pedant 4 years ago
And a cookie. :D
Emerjas 4 years ago
I personally think your first two thoughts are excellent redeeming qualities for a book. If the story’s bad, at least the physical book can be useful. ;)
Darth Pedant 4 years ago
I have actually done the flower press thing before (but not with this book). :)
Come to think of it, I've done both the doorstop and the flower press thing. And in my days of innocence (don't -- just don't comment, please), when some well-meaning adult started me off on a stamp collection, I also discovered the usefulness of really thick tomes in pressing stamps, fresh from having been immersed in water to separate them from their envelopes.

Real Art™, though ... :D (Love the "™".)
Darth Pedant 4 years ago
Haha! My husband is a big tabletop gaming fan, which means we have a plethora of games involving boards and cards and miniatures, and he likes to keep everything in excellent condition. This usually means spending almost as much as the original game cost on plastic card sleeves. And when he REALLY wants to protect his cards, he double-sleeves them. And then he uses MY BOOKS to crush the air out of the double-sleeved cards so they'll sit flat like an unsleeved deck. I've almost got him trained to ask me which books he can use. Almost™. XD
You should trademark the use of that "™". Oh, wait ...
Darth Pedant 4 years ago
Hehehehehehehe!
Seriously ... :)
Ani's Book Abyss 4 years ago
Your task lead me to reading your review of The Law of Nines, and I was rolling! I've only ever read The Sword of Truth, but didn't care to go back to the series--the book didn't do anything for me and I didn't like any of the characters anyway. But going by your review, I'm SO glad I never went back to Terry Goodkind.
Darth Pedant 4 years ago
Oh yes, absolutely trust your instincts on this one! XD I remember liking Sword of Truth when I read it years ago, but I never went back to the series, and The Law of Nines killed whatever spark of interest that remained.