Ani's Book Abyss 4 years ago
Ah... I've often wondered how some fantasy book characters were able to travel endlessly without stopping. Ghost horse epidemic. That answers everything and now I want a ghost horse for myself.
Darth Pedant 4 years ago
Me too! I'd be a bit sad that it's dead, but it would be so much cheaper to care for. ;)
A Man With An Agenda 4 years ago
I think Diana Wynne Jones' Tough Guide to Fantasyland referenced the strong breed of horses used there haha
Darth Pedant 4 years ago
Ooooooh! I need to get that! I LOVED Dark Lord of Derkholm.
Ani's Book Abyss 4 years ago
Adding to TBR! =)
BrokenTune 4 years ago
Hahaha. Ghost horses surely must be the answer.
Darth Pedant 4 years ago
It seems so obvious now! XD
Elentarri's Book Blog 4 years ago
Tolkien didn't use ghost horses, he just had everyone using their own feet! :)
Darth Pedant 4 years ago
LOL! He also invented his own breed of superhorses to get around those pesky regular horsey limitations. Shadowfax was one of them, which was why he ran faster than the wind and could understand human speech.
Go Shadowfax. Go Prof. Tolkien ...
Chris' Fish Place 4 years ago
Judith Tarr writes good horses. But then again she has them.
Darth Pedant 4 years ago
Real life experience for the win!
Darth Pedant 4 years ago
He's also cribbed quite a bit from David Eddings (mostly The Belgariad, and there's at least that one lifted scene from Ruby Knight, so there's probably a bunch of the Elenium in here too), so maybe he just wasn't sure what to go whole hog on and ended up half-assing everything as a result.

"Shadowfax and the Ghost Horses" has a nice ring to it. I could rock out to that.
Absolutely. Let's form that band? :)
Darth Pedant 4 years ago
This is a cool idea and I won't let my lack of musical talent dissuade me. Now, where did I put that recorder I sort of learned to play in elementary school...?
I think lack of musical talent is sort of mandatory with this one. I mean, just think of the book that inspired the idea ... and I'm not referring to Tolkien
Darth Pedant 4 years ago
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! All of our songs will be "inspired" by existing songs and changed just enough to avoid litigation on the basis of copyright. For our debut single, I propose we sing a rendition of the dwarf song from The Hobbit to the slightly-changed-but-still-recognizable tune of the Star Wars theme.
Sound great!