BrokenTune 4 years ago
Is there an emotion or facial expression that cannot be conveyed by your current profile pic? Just wondering, because the Porg seems to be pretty perfect for a lot of your posts/books.
Darth Pedant 4 years ago
I've been testing its emotional range, and so far its potential seems to be limitless. XD
Murder by Death 4 years ago
ugh... not what I would have recommended for light cozy fun. The issues persist (although the humor sustained me through more of the books than I'm willing to admit).

Donna Andrews. Seriously, she's MUCH better.
Can't comment on this particular series, but I definitely second (and third, fourth, etc.) the rec. for Donna Andrews.
Darth Pedant 4 years ago
I hope the humor sustains me through at least five books since I think I paid money for this back in the day. XD I probably won't have library access until after Easter, but I'll definitely put Donna Andrews on my list.
Hooray for libraries (again) -- books should be available for free, period. (And, um, authors should still be able to collect royalties. Circle squared? Squaring circles is our forte, I tell you ...)

The good thing about Donna Andrews's books is that you can start pretty much anywhere -- she has a great way of clipping in just enough background to make you comfortable whatever you pick as your starting point without missing anything truly relevant -- and you get familiar with the series's recurring characters soon enough either way.
Darth Pedant 4 years ago
That's really good to know. My local library is a small-ish rural one that shares books with a bunch of other small-ish rural libraries and availability is a bit haphazard.

Side note: I once read a Twitter thread by a librarian detailing how much it costs libraries to license print and audio and e-books for circulation and it was both fascinating and (in the case of the audio and e-books) horrifying. @.@
That's really a rather sad state of affairs. :(
Murder by Death 4 years ago
TA is right; you can start anywhere with her books, but if you can get Murder with Peacocks, (the 1st one), get it. I think it's still my favorite for the comedy, with a lawnmower scene that's both tragic and hilarious. Which shouldn't be possible, but Andrews made it work.
Darth Pedant 4 years ago
A tragic and hilarious lawnmower scene?! Oh, I am SUPER intrigued now! I really, really hope the library has this one! XD