Abandoned by user 7 years ago
Dr. Zhivago by Boris Pasternak isn't an easy read, but it is a great book. Are you looking for fiction or NF? The Russian classics are well worth reading if you're up for a challenge.
Denise 7 years ago
I'm looking for either fiction or non-fiction, it really doesn't matter (I probably should have clarified that). The Russian classics are intimidating to me but I'll definitely at least have a go at them. I will be putting Dr. Zhivago on my tbr shelf.
A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich.
Abandoned by user 7 years ago
Nicholas and Alexandra by Robert Massie is good NF. Also, The Gulag Archipelago by Solzhenitsyn is long, but interesting.
Also good, also by Massie, his bio of Peter the Great.
Denise 7 years ago
Thanks for the recommendations!
Debbie's Spurts 7 years ago
I'm almost always in 3.5 territory myself or really wavering between 3 and 4 stars.
Denise 7 years ago
I used to be a really high rater but now it is becoming rarer for me to give 5 stars. I still think I rate a bit too high.
Reflections 7 years ago
Also Massie's book about Catherine the Great. Anything by him is good. For fiction, I really loved War and Peace.
C. P. Lesley 7 years ago
Are you interested primarily in the Soviet period? I am a historian of Russia, albeit an earlier period. I'm sure I can recommend something. For starters, you might try Robert Alexander's The Romanov Bride, Daphne Kolotay's Russian Winter, and William McCormick's Lenin's Harem (not what you might expect!). I have also heard good things of The Bronze Horseman (sorry, blocking on the author's name—Paula something?), but I haven't read it. All these are fiction.
Denise 7 years ago
I am interested in basically any time period, I'd like to cover as much history as I can. Thanks for the recommendations.
C. P. Lesley 7 years ago
Author of The Bronze Horseman is Paullina Simons.