oooOOOOooooh! This has been on my TBR for a while, so I think I'm going to take the plunge. :)
Debbie's Spurts 5 years ago
It's been on my TBR forever because I have so many friends raving about. I keep hesitating to start because I'm iffy on time travel, contemporary romance and historical romance.
Denise 5 years ago
I was/am wary about the time travel and have always passed over it because of that. I keep seeing this book a lot and every time before I have decided not to get it. Now that it is only $1.99 I'm a little more open to getting it. I just don't know if I will be wasting my time or if I'll enjoy it.
Debbie's Spurts 5 years ago
I'm positive I need to just read it and decide for myself. I've heard so much from friends and reviews that it's not like anything anyone says at this point will help me decide.

I will say, I have read posts from the author I liked. So if I don't like the book, it's not likely to be because of bad writing.
Did it! I just couldn't resist. $1.99, and they make it so easy with their 1-click. Won't be able to dive into this for a while, but it's there and waiting for me now.
Denise 5 years ago
I also couldn't resist the price of $1.99. When I see a price like that there is something in me that just freaks out and I end up having to have the book. I try not to look at amazon a lot for that reason, otherwise I end up with a ton of books to add to my tbr list. I am going to try to read this one later in the year.
I was like that too when I first started getting the Kindle daily deal emails. But now I have a (flexible) rule that I only buy the books that are already on my TBR. At least that keeps my TBR in check.
Debbie's Spurts 5 years ago
I do jump at those deals for the first in a series I've been curious about. Of course they are doing it to hook you on the series, but that's okay. That the type of marketing I actually like and it does work to get me to try for the series/books I was on the fence about.
Yeah, I'd been interested in the Phryne Fisher books, and the first one was a Kindle freebie, so I got it.
Moonlight Snow 5 years ago
I am iffy on time travel as well, although I do love a good historical romance. However, and this is a huge however, Outlander is totally worth reading for two reasons: 1) it is a classic of genre fiction and 2) it is amazing. You need to know, though, that the first 100 to 150 pages drag big time. You have to get yourself past the beginning, until Claire goes back in time through the standing stones before the story really takes off. Also, there is a lot of violence, so it is not for the faint of heart - both violence violence and sexual violence. In comparison to more modern erotic fiction, it is not sexually graphic, although for its time it was considered quite racy. Many people have issues with the book - there is arguably cheating (Claire is married when she goes back in time and meets the love of her life) and there is a scene that is absolutely domestic violence.

If you decide to do a read-along, I'd probably participate just for the fun of hanging out with y'all while you read it for the first time. It's a wild ride.
BTW, Amazon also gave me 0.99 toward my next fantasy/sci-fi Kindle purchase. FTW!