BrokenTune 2 years ago
Awww....
Elentarri's Book Blog 2 years ago
Cute little bugger... until he bites your finger off.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Oh, I know. He's cute at that size.
Elentarri's Book Blog 2 years ago
And powerfully muscled. I once held an unamused and wriggly baby crocodile twice the size of this one, and had to use two hands so I wouldn't squash it.
Murder by Death 2 years ago
Not sure I've ever considered gator babies as 'cute' - although they definitely have an appealing look to them when they're tiny.
Baby 'gators (and crocodies) are one instance where Mother Nature's "infantile features cuteness pattern" is an all-out fail with me. Give me baby bulldogs any day instead. (Or baby lions. Or kittens. But that's a different story!)
Murder by Death 2 years ago
Is that a platypus on the cover? I'm going to have to buy this if that's a platypus. ;-)
Elentarri's Book Blog 2 years ago
It's a lizard of some type.

The book is about the author's hypothesis that burrowing animals survive catastrophes better than non-burrowing animals, and therefore survive to procreate and create new species (i.e. evolution). He starts off with the current age and goes backwards. Chapter 1 was about the aligators and other stuff, Chapter 2 about underground human dwellings (ancient and more modern - WW2, coldware bunkers and underground shopping centres in Canada and China), chapter 3 is turtes past and present, chapter 4 birds past and present, Chapter 5 dinosaurs and pre-dinosaurs - I think he is leading up to mammals here since the pre-dinosaurs aren't really reptiles. There is science but also witty commentary that I like (for some reason).
Murder by Death 2 years ago
What's not to like about witty commentary? As long as it's on topic and judiciously used.
Elentarri's Book Blog 2 years ago
The quotes related to the book should provide a sample if you are interested. I'm enjoying the book so far. :)
Murder by Death 2 years ago
I'm totally interested; you know I'm a sucker for witty. :D

I'm holding out for signs of a platypus though.
Elentarri's Book Blog 2 years ago
The only platypus book I've come across is this one:

Platypus: The Extraordinary Story of How a Curious Creature Baffled the World by Ann Moyal

I haven't read it so have no clue how good/bad it is.
Murder by Death 2 years ago
I've read it. Not impressed. Most of the book is about how many platypuses humanity killed trying to figure out what it was. I get that specimens are/were necessary, but seriously, Moyal was way too focused on the harvesting for me. I wanted to learn about the platypus, not man's insatiable need to kill it and cut it up.
Elentarri's Book Blog 2 years ago
Sounds awful. Thanks for the warning.