Murder by Death 4 years ago
I'm looking forward to this one - although i'd prefer my house limit itself to two mammals, rather than 12.
Elentarri's Book Blog 4 years ago
It's an average. If your house has a basement and an unsealed roof then there could be that many.

I hope you enjoy the book!

I know I have a rat in the yard - just one - I see it scurrying up the walnut tree for nuts and I found his cache of nuts under the top tier of the fish pond. I don't want to put poison down because the dogs and neighbour's cats might eat the poisoned rat. And I did have a ridiculous amount of spiders in the house last year, but they seem to have found somewhere else to camp out this year. I also have a lizard living under the couch (I can't catch him - he runs too fast) so I don't spray pesticides inside either. I don't mind the lizard - he may have eaten all the spiders and he must eat some mosquitoes. The one neighbour has an unkempt and overgrown yard so I suspect that most of my house critters moved in there - no duster, no mop, no vacuum cleaner.
Murder by Death 4 years ago
We struggle with rodents in the garden, though the only ones we've ever seen in the house were the ones the cats have brought in, There was one that died in the bedroom wall too, the bastard. We have a service that comes out and maintains baited traps. Australia has strict laws to protect possums, so the traps have to be specially designed. We also don't let our cats out after dark. I don't mind mice at all - and I actually don't have a problem with rats, but our main sewer intersection is behind our house, and I'm not wiling to risk the diseases and pests that rats can carry. Other than that, there's no chemical pest control done in our house/garden.

We always have huge numbers of spiders; unless they're Redbacks, which are lethal to cats (and will ruin a human's day), we tend to ignore and/or name them. They get moved out of our bedroom, because nobody wants spiders dropping in when you're in bed. I've been spritzing the corners with peppermint oil the last couple of years, and we've had fewer spiders.

I WISH we had lizards - Carlito is a little too fond of them unfortunately. I see them in the garden on rare occasions, but they keep themselves hidden. i did find one hiding in the bathroom trashcan lid a few months ago - as it's as far from any outside door as you can get in this house, I can only imagine he was a fugitive escapee from the big paw. :)
Elentarri's Book Blog 4 years ago
I did the peppermint oil all over in an attempt to get rid of the spiders and my husband complained aobut the house smelling like a morgue. :( So no more peppermint. :(
Murder by Death 4 years ago
A morgue?? To me that's the scent of lilies.
Elentarri's Book Blog 4 years ago
He says you put peppermint oil under your nose before visiting the morgue. I've never visited a morgue so I will have to take his word for it.
Murder by Death 4 years ago
Ah, that makes sense! Although here I think they use eucalyptus, or Vic's VapoRub, which is the same thing. I'd rather use peppermint, but on the other hand, I'd rather not associate peppermint with dead people, so, no. :P
Aaah -- Wick (Vick's) VapoRub ... When I was little, that used to be the cure-all for every type of cold, cough and throat thing. I rather liked the smell (I like of eucalyptus forests, too).
Murder by Death 4 years ago
I LOVE the smell of eucalyptus forests (or just the trees), but I'm not a fan of it in a concentrated form. Too much.